Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove power windows? +Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How to remove power windows? +Update

Last night I tackled and fixed a couple of problems:

-Replaced bulbs in license plate lights +work!

-Fixed hatch!
-replaced hatch struts, which did fit.
-fixed broken defroster wires, haven't been able to check if it works yet.
-removed hatch locks cleaned and re-lubed with white lithium grease
-realigned the hatch locks -hatch now opens with key and lifts up on its own!
-power release doesn't work, working on that....

-Installed new seats +work!
-the old seats were not even bolted to the sliders, half the bolts were missing
-vaccuumed under seats, found an old key from denver and about $4 in change

-Finally fixed driver's side door handle +now opens from outside!
-I removed the door panel, and window guide/security lock and the lock mechanism, cleaned, re-lubed and reinstalled.
-The door opens from the outside very easily

Now onto the passenger side!
The passanger side was increasingly harder and harder to open from the outside.
I took off the door panel, and removed the lower window guide screw.
With the driver's side, all that was holding the window guide was the lower screw.
According to WSM, the window guide has two screw holding it on. I cannot find the upper screw.

How do I remove the pass power window? The WSM does not show this and neither does clarks garage. Is it difficult to realign the window?

I was too frustrated with the pass side to take any pics. I was up until about 4am trying to get that damn window guide out...
Old 01-07-2007, 07:57 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hidden behind the rubber trim at the back part of the door(corner of the window). I will see if I can dig up a pict.
On removing the window...not hard just annoying. Do a search. I think I or someone else has written a pretty detailed how to.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

I did search and couldn't find anything. I searched "remove window" and got a bunch of quarter window removals and then I searched "remove power window" and got eve less threads...
Old 01-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

so after searching some more I found some answers, it seems that I need to lower the window and remove the weatherstrip around the window to remove the top screw for the window guide track.
Does anyone got a pic of where that screw is?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:20 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

You should be able to get at the locks by just undoing the lower bolt on the guide and pulling it away from the side of the door. I managed to change the locks in my car without pulling the windows

The easy way to pull the window out is to remove one side of the lifter mechanisim. When I pulled my driver window out I put the window down half way then unbolted off the rear part of the sissor lifting part. From there you should be able to slide the window out from the lifter and carefully pull it out from the frame.

It's not the easiest thing to do since you need the angles just right to get it out of the frame, but it's pretty straight forward once you get it off the lifter rails.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:46 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

isnt the 924s the same as a early 944? the stuff youre describing doesnt sound liek my early car...ive had mine out soooo many times i could definitly walk you through it.

skene seems to have a good idea of it, but im still confused about the upper and lower bolts of a guide. i have 2 guide channels built onto the window itself, and a small roughly 8" guide channel that bolts horizontally (left to right) near the rear of the door.
i lower the window all the way, unbolt the small channel, and unbolt the window motor bolts. if youre only takign the window out, you might not have to do that. witht he door panel off, theres the two folds at the top of the door that the door panel tucks behind. those allow the room to get the window out, and the channels will fit where the bends are. standing on the "inside" of the door, i tilt the front of the window forward, and take it out the "outside" of the door.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:03 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

thanks guys. what I am going to try is to lower the window all the way, then try to remove the upper guide screw so I can just remove the guide, without having to remove the whole window. I can get at the arm and socket now, just can't put enough pressure to snap the socket onto the ball.

Quick Reply: How to remove power windows? +Update