Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparking / Arcing rotor cap? Poor idle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Tommygunn944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparking / Arcing rotor cap? Poor idle?

I had put my car up for the winter, today it was unseasonably warm 69 degrees! So I figured I fire her up, real rough idle, fine when throttled above 1500 rpms, it wouldn't stall but sounded like it was missing...

So I popped the hood and throttled it by hand, I noticed some scary arcing going on with the rotor cap, I plan on replacing it, anything else I should do? Plugs are new, wires are good, right on the distributor there was some electrical sparks when the engine was revved up.

I ran a search, even when running it's best, cold idle would fluctuate then idle fine when warmed up, I figured it was the idle control brain (sorry for lack of technical terminology) I had read a bunch about these getting gummed up.

I figure an outright replacement of the Rotor and cap then see? Anyone else had the same trouble? Tips etc? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is arcing on the outside of the cap, then clean the outside of the cap really well
The spark gap there should be MUCH larger than the plugs, and electricity will follow the path of least resistance.
So, if it is arcing there, there is some reason, i.e. grease or something wet on the outside of the cap.

Quick Reply: Sparking / Arcing rotor cap? Poor idle?