Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA at the Glen- Who wants to go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:48 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Why don't you just admit that you don't own your car, and your parents are ****-worrywart-fun-spoilers?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsboost90
*shakes fist* you instructors think your just soooo cool!
You mean we're not?!?

Originally Posted by Darth Coupe
Dan, while teching look the other way when my car comes through. Oh wait, my car does not need to be teched.
Darth Coupe: don't skimp out on the track side tech - though I am also no longer required to go through the tech line, I still do from time to time. It is always good to have another set of eyes checking over your car...

-Z-man.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have to be a PCA member to go? If so, what is the cost? That would be the only use for my membership as the local region does nothing (at least that I've been able to find...)
Old 01-04-2007, 07:33 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So why does your region not require instructor's to go through tech line? Just curious.

(sorry Dan for the tangent)
Old 01-04-2007, 07:36 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

My region (NOR) does not tech the instructors either. As for the cost, a typical DE weekend will cost $250 to $400. The finer tracks cost more, and Watkins is one fine track! I have not seen the official cost announced yet.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:52 PM
robinsonracing
Racer

My region does a mandatory pre-tech for everybody by club recognized tech people at no cost. At the track though they assume that by now, instructors can properly prepare for track day so no tech line for instructors. Everybody else does tech at the track as well as pre-tech. Works out pretty good because even some of the best mechanics can neglect their own car some. Nice for a second opinion sometimes.
Brian
Old 01-04-2007, 08:12 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
My region (NOR) does not tech the instructors either.
As the new Safety & Tech Chair for my region, I am interested to know why? Do you know what their reasoning is for not requiring instructors to tech? I've seen instructors forget just as many things as students: torquing lug nuts, leaving gas caps on rear wing, forgetting to apply car numbers, etc.

I am not looking for an argument. I am honestly curious as to why some regions do things differently than others. We want to tailor our events to meet everyone's needs, while at the same time follow the established guidelines as set forth by National PCA.

FWIW, PCA DE Guidelines as written do not exempt instructors from final tech at the track.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:36 PM
robinsonracing
Racer

Originally Posted by shiners780
As the new Safety & Tech Chair for my region, I am interested to know why? Do you know what their reasoning is for not requiring instructors to tech? I've seen instructors forget just as many things as students: torquing lug nuts, leaving gas caps on rear wing, forgetting to apply car numbers, etc.

I am not looking for an argument. I am honestly curious as to why some regions do things differently than others. We want to tailor our events to meet everyone's needs, while at the same time follow the established guidelines as set forth by National PCA.

FWIW, PCA DE Guidelines as written do not exempt instructors from final tech at the track.
How many times after tech do you see people add gas, change tires etc before they get on track. ALOT!!!! So whats the tech line for??????????
Pre-event tech establishes a safe car, the rest is up to the owner........
Brian
Old 01-04-2007, 10:38 PM
trackgirl944
AutoX

Oh dan!!! The picture is out!!! I love you!!! Thank you so much for making Chris a superstar!!!! If anyone needs to know why you should go to Watkins Glen.... Let's just say it was a beaver-lickin good time!!! Maybe the bartender (forgot his name) Can come back and play with us again on his night off!!

By the way, Happy new year to you all!!!!!! Love ya!! Can't wait for the GLEN!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta love it!

Hope you all had happy holidays!!!!

Trackgirl
Old 01-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Guys, I am not trying to start some arguements here, I was just jabbin my bud the tech guy. Our region does not tech Insctructors as you are supposed to know what to do at that level and saves some time I suppose. It's not that I do not recomend that everyone not have their car checked out, it is just at the discression of the driver then. It is not a concern for me as I have been doing this for years since becoming an instructor with no issues, so has my wife when she bacame an instructor. We check our cars every time before heading out and are religious about our car maintenance and checks. Besides, in our camp we always have the previous and current OVR techs and everyone always keeps an eye on everyone else's cars. I just make sure to take out 10 psi in Dan's tires though every time. By the end of the day he is running on flats.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robinsonracing
How many times after tech do you see people add gas, change tires etc before they get on track. ALOT!!!! So whats the tech line for??????????
Pre-event tech establishes a safe car, the rest is up to the owner........
Brian
I firmly agree in personal responsibility. I sometimes feel resentful having to sit through tech line to get my cursory inspection, knowing full well that I had a wrench on every bolt under the car just three days prior! However, I find it interesting that some regions allow instructors (some who are mechanically unaware) to skip tech, yet require the black run group (some who are very mechanically capable) to partake in final tech. Who makes those distinctions, and why? That is what I am interested in.

My reason for posting was that I am now in position to institute changes and set regional policy, as well as to ensure that our region follows directives from National. I find it interesting that various regions have different protocols when it comes to things like teching cars at DE's. I am simply trying to learn as much as possible regarding safety & tech, and to better understand why certain regions do what they do.

It is also my understanding that incidents that arise from a host region not following PCA DE guidelines could result in the inability of that region to obtain future insurance coverage through PCA. This would put that region's DE program at risk.

"#14. Final Safety Inspection: A final safety inspection of the car shall be performed within 24 hours at a site near or at the event facility.This should include inspection of the helmet, the restraint system, all loose objects to be removed, gas cap must be tight and any other items deemed necessary by the event chairman. The car is identified with a sticker or some other means as having passed the final inspection."

No exemptions are noted, which leads me to believe instructors are required by National PCA to final tech. I suppose clarification from National would be prudent, to determine whether or not instructors are exempt from final tech. It's not up to me to argue the merits either way, but to fully understand the guidelines and ensure that my region abides by them.

http://www.pca.org/drivers_ed/standards.html

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program... Sorry again Dan for the OT tangent.

Quick Reply: PCA at the Glen- Who wants to go?