Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy mat under carpet.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:50 PM
bluedevil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy mat under carpet.....

Ok, restoring my 86 944 and right now I am putting sound paper down on the inside of the car to make it quite which is like Dinomat. I have a carpet kit but it does not have the factory padding that came with the original carpet. So my question is the pad that came in the car from Porsche has carpet pad with a platic/rubber top to it, does anyone sell that stuff? I have ideas on how to get arround that but I would like to put that kind of product back into the car. Most of what was in the car can be reused but the stuff over the transmission hump is shot and I would like to put the same thing back in.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:18 PM
hpservertech
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing the same thing right now. For the transmission well I plan on doing several layers of some fatmat (similar to dinomat but has alum. backing) If you go this route though, caution, it will had some weight to the car. Depends really how bad yours is messed up. Mine was 80% ok. Only issues were at the edges, which the dinomat will coverup.

Prep work is the most important for this job. You need to get all of the old pad & glue off of the car before you put in the dinomat. Heat gun & scraper work. Be careful in areas that have wiring if you use and adhesive remover such as one from 3M. I spent about 20 hours on mine so far and still have some to go. Vacuum several times over a couple of days if you can. Screwdriver or scraper will help get the chucks of dirt out of they are clumped up.

I would get rid of the old padding and just get new. You can use regular carpet padding if you want to, just spay the pad with adhesive and attach to the carpet. Let it dry then spray the car where the carpet will go and attach the pad & carpet. It is a long job, but a good one to do over the winter. While your in there clean up any wiring issues or rust if there is any.

Where did you get your carpet kit from? Using a heat gun to help put the dinomat in?

Let me know if you have any questions or need help. I have done this process on many cars from my audio installation days. Best advice I can give is take your time. Dinomat works so much better when it is really warm or hot.

Quick Reply: Heavy mat under carpet.....