Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radiator fan wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 02:35 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default radiator fan wiring

Alright, after hard wiring one fan early this year, I decided today i was going to hard wire the second. However, this is the switched hi/low fan with three wires (brown, brown with white stripe and red with black stripe).

Does anyone know which is what? I'm going to assume the solid brown is ground, but any idea if I'm and/or which of the others is hi and low?

thanks
Old 12-27-2006, 06:47 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On mine, red/white is high, brown/yellow is low. My guess on yours would be red/black high and brown/white low, but that's just a guess. I would just do high, no real need for low in terms of hard wiring switches.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Red/black is positive for both high and low speed. Brown/red is a ground that goes through the AC relay, brown/white is a ground that goes through the radiator temperature switch. If I was going to hard wire the fan I would use the brown/red as ground, since it is a heavier gauge wire.

If you supply +12V to the red/black and ground either/both of the two brown wires the fan will run on high only.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:54 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Waterguy
Red/black is positive for both high and low speed. Brown/red is a ground that goes through the AC relay, brown/white is a ground that goes through the radiator temperature switch. If I was going to hard wire the fan I would use the brown/red as ground, since it is a heavier gauge wire.

If you supply +12V to the red/black and ground either/both of the two brown wires the fan will run on high only.

really? I thought it was a hi and low fan?

hmm I might just start touching wires together tomorrow and see what happens
Old 12-28-2006, 03:20 AM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

really? I thought it was a hi and low fan?
It is. Power is supplied from auxilary fuse 3 to the red/black wire through the ballast resistor (always on.) Whenever the fan motor is grounded through the radiator temperature switch the fan runs on low. When the AC is turned on, the AC relay grounds both the fan motor and the fan relay. The fan relay turns on, supplying 12V power to the red/black wire from auxilary fuse 3 through the relay (i.e. bypassing the ballast resistor) and the fan runs on high.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:19 AM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Waterguy
It is. Power is supplied from auxilary fuse 3 to the red/black wire through the ballast resistor (always on.) Whenever the fan motor is grounded through the radiator temperature switch the fan runs on low. When the AC is turned on, the AC relay grounds both the fan motor and the fan relay. The fan relay turns on, supplying 12V power to the red/black wire from auxilary fuse 3 through the relay (i.e. bypassing the ballast resistor) and the fan runs on high.

hmm, then for simplicities sake i think I'm going to just have that fan run on high when i switch it on. I'm trying to keep the KISS principle alive on this car (so if it breaks i can fix it).
Old 12-28-2006, 04:15 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

ok, here is what i found.

there are two grounds and it seems that both are high. Yup, there is no low on my fan at all. So looks like I have two fans that are on hi all the time. I really dont care I'm happy that they are both working

Quick Reply: radiator fan wiring