Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous in a 944 N/A

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

only problem with nitrous on a 944 NA is that the Bosch L-Jetronic on these cars runs a little lean in upper RPMs. Using NOS will lean it out more and may cause detonation, burned valves, broken rings, etc. A rising rate adjustable fuel pressure regulator would be needed to compensate for such a significant change in air/fuel ratios.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitt944
Did I specifically put your name anywhere? No? Thought not.

Why didn't you tell the kid about your links? Would it have taken anymore time than kicking him in the nuts? No? Well I'll be.

If you don't think he can pull it off, how about mentoring the guy, and share the love? At least give him a head start.
What's with this answering and double answering your own questions?

I'm not sure where you get this idea of "kincing him in the nuts" notion. All anyone needs to do is ASK. People have asked me either in a post or in a PM about the SC build and had no problems replying to anyone. He's also, and perhaps even you, are more than welcome to do the same. I'm not going sit here and type a mile long post on how I did it, when at the end it turns up he's not even interested in it. All he and anyone has to do is ASK. The wesite regadring the SC build is pretty detailed and should answer most of the questions one would have and if there is something that needs clearification then all anyone needs to so is ASK.

Did I for get to say....... JUST ASK???
Old 12-28-2006, 06:31 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just axe.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummm, he DID ask.

This is what you came back with:

" I'm not sure you are the right person yet to have a N2O. Do a littel more research and talk to some people that had first heand experience witht it. Any speed shop will have someone that knows this stuff. It scares me that you are asking all these basic questions.

Before I installed my first supercharger, I knew enough to know what to expect and what the risks/benefits are. Learn as much as you can about what it takes/does before even considering the cost. "

Did you notice the part where you told him to do more research and ask more questions? Seems to me like he is trying to follow your advice. And it scares you someone would dare ask a basic question? Were you magically born with the knowledge, or did you at one point ask basic questions also?

And once again, you were not specifically mentioned. Must be a guilty conscious on your part or something. I am not trying to start a little pissing match with you, but the guy asks for help, and gets kicked in the nuts. Did he ask specific questions? No, he did not. He asked open ended, leading questions, that would allow a broad spectrum of answers. Maybe he doesn't know the proper questions to ask yet. An example of this would be me and my questions about stroker motors.

My statement about dicks stands.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:52 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

You can tell it is winter on Rennlist.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:14 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tifosiman
You can tell it is winter on Rennlist.

I literally JUST said the same thing to a friend of mine.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:06 PM
czar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played around a lot with nitrous in high school as my buddy had a filling station. We put it on almost anything we coould get our hands on - from a vespa to a spectrum (chevy). To save time, we usually just ran a hose into the airbox directly from the bottle and literally "turnd it on." As it's been mentioned, install is much easier on a carb'd motor.

We did do some more legitimate installs as my friend is a serious 1/4 mile competitor in Englishtown (he runs in the quick 8 class), but it was his car so he did most of the work. Anyway, my point in all of this is that I got to watch, first hand, of what happens when you add nitrous to a motor. It does burn very cleanly, but it also can EASILY create damage. I would not consider adding nitrous unless you have the reserve funds to fix things when they break. With a domestic carb'd car, it's an easier application and is less costly when something goes bad.

I really wanted to put nitrous on my 944 (I had an '83 at the time), but I didn't have the *****, and I don't think my friend would have filled the tank for me. He encouraged me to get a different car if that's what I was looking for - and I did, an '88 Mustang with an 850 holley carb on it. And that took nitrous very well. Until it was stolen, but that's another story.

For the $$ for the kit, and $$ in the bank for the rainy-day blown motor fund, just sell your 944 and buy a 951. Unless you're planning to go the 1/4 mile track.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitt944
Ummm, he DID ask.

This is what you came back with:

" I'm not sure you are the right person yet to have a N2O. Do a littel more research and talk to some people that had first heand experience witht it. Any speed shop will have someone that knows this stuff. It scares me that you are asking all these basic questions.

Before I installed my first supercharger, I knew enough to know what to expect and what the risks/benefits are. Learn as much as you can about what it takes/does before even considering the cost. "

Did you notice the part where you told him to do more research and ask more questions? Seems to me like he is trying to follow your advice. And it scares you someone would dare ask a basic question? Were you magically born with the knowledge, or did you at one point ask basic questions also?

And once again, you were not specifically mentioned. Must be a guilty conscious on your part or something. I am not trying to start a little pissing match with you, but the guy asks for help, and gets kicked in the nuts. Did he ask specific questions? No, he did not. He asked open ended, leading questions, that would allow a broad spectrum of answers. Maybe he doesn't know the proper questions to ask yet. An example of this would be me and my questions about stroker motors.

My statement about dicks stands.
This trread is not about you so chill man!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:51 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After all the discussions here I decided to go for it. I talked to a few guys in the industry and decided on a shop to do the install. I went to see them today to discuss the install detail. Then the following questions game up:

They say I should do a 100 shot as any less (whole smaller than 1mm) gets blocked too easily and cause the motor to go bang!!

They say that high temp (car stood in sun for a while) make the system unusable due to high pressure - how sensitive is the bottle to sun exposure? I do not want to install it if I can't use it when I want to.

I decided to fit a WOP and a rev switch to enable it only between 4k and 6k revs at full throttle.

The only place to fit the bottle in the cab seems to be behind the passenger seat.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:30 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous has been used for years. It is a cheap way to make 50-75 hp. on these cars. I haven't used it personally but go with a wet kit if the cars run lean on the top end. It gives you a little safety. Try it out.

Quick Reply: nitrous in a 944 N/A