Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting rid of mold/mildew

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Getting rid of mold/mildew

Next time someone asks $100 or $200 to get rid of mold/mildew in your car don't scoff.

Here is a bit of what i did to my NA. The water leak was isolated to the passenger side, and water pooled under the rear seat, and on the rear passenger floor.

Pretty simple, right?

I took out the passenger seat and used my bissel carpet steamer on the floor and wheel well. Didn't do it all

I took the seatbelts out and removed the rear seat bottom after i took off the eight clips in the hatch area. the bottom of the seat stank. I put the seat in the garage on the hatch of the 951 and the whole garage stank.

I mixed a little oxy clean with water in an empty febreeze bottle. i used the whole bottle in the car last week, along with a can of lysol. the big size can! sprayed the oxy clean all over and under on friday or saturday night.

I took the other seatbelt bolt out and pulled the carpet up, pulled the carpet down etc. I then took my wife's sharper image ionizing 1875 watt blow dryer and set it on medium, wedged it in and let it blow. i went in and heated up a slice of yesterday's pizza (you gotta be from NY to understand that one).

then i moved the dryer to another area. i Didn't just want the carpet or padding to dry, i wanted to fry the mold spores.

after a few hours of that with the blow dryer i sprayed a little lysol on the inside areas, shot the dryer over the areas, and put the carpet back where it was.

I took some clorox spray and sprayed the underside of the rear seat. the material was peeled back a bit and it stunk real bad under there. the moment i shot that area the blue material that backs the vinyl changed colors. i grabbed the hose and hosed it down. sprayed the foam with water, then clorox, then squoze, then sprayed water etc. the seat bottom is now in my basement next to my boiler with something wedging the material from the foam, drying out.

when my wife gets home in a little while she will open the door of the 944 and tell me if i cured the problem. if not, the car definitely has to be sold.

Last edited by Tom R.; 12-18-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:27 PM
TheCooler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy recaros
Old 12-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCooler
Buy recaros
surem get em to fit where my back seat is and i wll take a pair. get em to cover the floor and wheel wells and i will take a pair. get em to stop a hatch from leaking and i will take a pair.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:27 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They make these little tree-shaped things that hang in cars. Not sure what they are called. Wait...air fresheners!?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience the mold/mildew will never be gone. I think the spores lay dormant until it is humid enough and here we go again. A friend of mine just sold a boxter for the same reason (perforated leather..even worse). Problem is much more pronounced here in the south. You have to be careful leaving your car in the garage with the windows up for extended periods of time. Ask me how I know..thank god it wasn't the 951.

Quick Reply: Getting rid of mold/mildew