Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOMEONE HIT MY PORSCHE!! :@ :@

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:06 AM
jbrill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i dont have collision either
its a 750 deductable on any hit and run so no collision doesn't matter. the only time it does is if its YOUR fault
Old 12-14-2006, 03:51 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear, thats is one cool color on the other hand.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:16 AM
El Commandante
Pro

It seems as if people are out to hit 944s by the content of recent posts...
Old 12-14-2006, 12:41 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jbrill
yea i dont have collision either
its a 750 deductable on any hit and run so no collision doesn't matter. the only time it does is if its YOUR fault
then it's one of the strangest policies i've ever heard of, deductible for hit and run??????

Old 12-14-2006, 03:30 PM
jbrill
Racer

well im canadian.. guess that explains the strangness of our laws :P
Old 12-14-2006, 05:54 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

That's a da** shame, I remember when you first got your car and posted pics

stoopid hit and run drivers
Old 12-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jordan, ICBC says any Vehicle to Vehicle collision, or Vehicle to fixed-object collision, falls under Collision coverage. If you DECLINE Collision insurance, ICBC will NOT pay out any accidents that are your fault. They WILL Pay/Fix any accidents that are someone else's fault. With a Hit and Run, it is not your fault, so they will pay for the damage if they believe it was not your fault. But if they do not have a driver to pin it on, YOU will have to cover the deductable, until you can find the person responsible and get re-imburserd for it.

Read the links for more detailed info. I too have declined collision, because in two years, you've paid the value of the car in insurance.. so it's not worth it. (And I have a 43% roadstar discount too!!) I suggest you lower your deductable on comprehensive to $300 if it isn't already... Rock Chips, vandalism, etc all fall under comprehensive, and it's best to keep that deductable low, because raising it to $500 or $750 or $1000 barely saves you any money over the entire year's insurance.

http://icbc.com/insurance/insura_mor...icl_collis.asp
http://icbc.com/insurance/insura_mor...icl_compre.asp

Remember to shoot me an email or MSN if you need any miscellaneous parts or help.

Cheers
Rich
Old 12-14-2006, 08:36 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you got any quotes yet?
Old 12-15-2006, 01:50 AM
83 TX 944
Racer

You guys don't have underinsured, uninsured motorist coverage available in Canada?
Old 12-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Check to see if the parking lots have cameras. I know where I work there are cameras mounted on every corner spanning over every parking lot. Might not get you a plate number, but at least a description of the car or if any witnesses saw it.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:48 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

You guys don't have underinsured, uninsured motorist coverage available in Canada?
Yes we do, it's an option. However a Hit & Run is totally different from Underinsured/Uninsured accident.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

Those of you who are going the cheap option on insurance need to remember one thing. If you car is totalled it's your loss. Full (comprehensive) coverage costs more but it also insures that if the car is totalled you'll get a check at the end. Our cars are very expensive to repair and have low resale values when compared to the price of parts and repairs. To me, it's prudent to have my investment insured.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Those of you who are going the cheap option on insurance need to remember one thing. If you car is totalled it's your loss. Full (comprehensive) coverage costs more but it also insures that if the car is totalled you'll get a check at the end. Our cars are very expensive to repair and have low resale values when compared to the price of parts and repairs. To me, it's prudent to have my investment insured.
Tactfully put, but you have NO IDEA how expensive automobile insurance is here in Vancouver BC. We have some of the worst drivers in the world ( C-Lai !!), in the wettest weather in the world. Also, our system is unique in the world, in that everyone MUST purchase their basic insurance through ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) , and additional collision or comprehensive insurance is optional through ICBC or CDI. (Canadian Direct Insurance)

I'm 25, 9 years no accidents, no tickets to affect insurance, and have the maximum allowable discount with ICBC. I pay $114cdn per month, with $250,000 liability, full comprehensive w/ $300 deducatable and NO collision. It would cost an extra $150 per month to get collision insurance. I've owned my car for 4 years, in which I've paid about $6000 worth of insurance. It would have cost me another $6500 on top of that just for collision in those 4 years. That would be a total of $12,500cdn in insurance in 4 years. I paid $11,000cdn for the car. Does it makes sense in the long run? No it doesn't...

If insurance is relatively cheap where you live, then it's a different story.

Like everything else, it's a risk vs reward scenario. What are the odds that I will have an at fault collision, and furthermore, what are the odds that this at fault collision will be a total loss???

I've done the math..
Old 12-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

And you have NO idea how expensive it is to live in Northern Virginia which is just east of Washington, DC. Don't think for a minute that our car insurance is "cheap" in this area. I'm paying multiples of what you pay each month is US dollars for car insurance. Of course, I'm insuring more expensive vehicles, more vehicles and also have a teenaged driver on my policy.

Besides, you indicated that you do have comprehensive coverage which is what I was advocating so I'm not sure what the counterpoint to my post was. 8-)

Peace.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:25 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

In BC, Collision and Comprehensive are two seperate optional coverages in additional to basic liability (basic is mandatory). Comprehensive does NOT include Collision (in BC)

The downside to having ONE insurance company is that there is no competition. The upside, is that by law, they are not allowed to deny insurance to anyone for any reason.

Bill, how much do you pay to insure your cars? I'd be willing to bet similar coverage for similar cars would cost more here in BC. At one point, we held the record for most expensive car insurance in North America! (not something I'm happy to brag about...)

Quick Reply: SOMEONE HIT MY PORSCHE!! :@ :@