Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag 996 3-spoke Steering wheel in 951 - Now with How-To

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:29 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Those four wires are all associated with the airbag. Assuming you're not running an airbag then any of them should suit your purpose. That said, whether it's a good idea to mount an iPhone on your steering wheel is an interesting question.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:04 PM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gregeast, thank you for your prompt reply.

Would you know how the positive for the car horn is wired through the steering column to the car horn button? The same way as in non-airbag cars?

Do you know why there are TWO pairs of wiring for the airbag?

'Whether it's a good idea to mount an iPhone on your steering wheel is an interesting question"

You mean it from a safety point of view? On an airbag steering wheel, I can see how this definitely might not be a good idea. If the airbag explosive gets triggered, the iPhone may turn into something what is called an "explosively formed penetrator"! On an non-airbag Deep Dish Steering Wheel, the iPhone would be inside the steering wheel, and therefore, should not be a first contact area or major area of transfer of force in case someone slams into the steering wheel. However, having an iPhone mounted on the steering wheel should be another reason for ALWAYS wearing a seatbelt.

MN
Old 02-20-2010, 01:12 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm afraid I can't help you on the horn wiring, it was really just plug and play for the horn so it's not something I dug into at a detail level. I'd be surprised however if it was different between air-bag and non-airbag cars.

My comment about whether mounting the iPhone on the wheel was a good idea was more about being distracted by looking down at it but I suppose that's really not different than looking down at the stereo or the iPhone in the console. It does seem to me that the clock spring is the right answer for this as it's designed to do exactly what you need it to, ie. maintain electrical connection while rotating.

Keep us posted on how it turns out!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:52 PM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gregeast:

You raised an important safety issue - distraction caused by operating a smart telephone.

I have to take off a hand of the steering wheel and lean slightly forward to the right in order to operate my console mounted iPhone, which often caused the car to jitter just when I am not looking straight ahead.

This is why I am so keen having the iPhone on the steering wheel. Much closer to the line of sight to what is ahead on the road (almost like checking one's speed) and don't have to take a hand of the steering wheel or change posture.

When I get everything to work, I will write a write-up and post it here.

Any suggestions or recommendation out here on mounting a iPhone.

MN
Old 09-13-2010, 11:38 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

So, how many of you all are doing these swaps ?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know of three other 3 spoke swaps and at least one Boxster/996 4 spoke swap.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:30 PM
MacinTek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a picture of this? I'm interested!

Please post a picture or two of this... I'm interested in doing something similar.

Originally Posted by markusnolff
Perhaps a dumb question:

I use my iPhone as a stereo headunit, car telephone, and car navigator on my 1986 NA 944 and 1992 928 GTS. Both cars have a non-airbag PORSCHE GT2/MOMO Steering wheel on which it is very easy to mount a iPhone, giving easy access to the iPhone menu even while having both hands on the steering wheel.

But I can not see a way for passing the wiring through the steering column for powering the iPhone and transmitting the audio signal (I use iSimple IS76 iPod/iPhone Interface Cable). I tried connecting a power supply (GRIFFIN PowerJolt SE) for the iPhone in parallel with the horn button, but the power drawn by the power supply is enough to trigger the car horn.

Does someone known how many connections are passed through the Contact ring/Slip ring/Clock Spring? gregeast's photo on page 3 of this post, shows four (4) wires: green, green/braun, brown, and brown/white. I assume, brown (positive) and brown/white (ground) are for the car horn, and green (positive) and green/braun (ground) are for the airbag. Is this correct? Does anyone sees a problem installing such a Contact ring/Slip ring/Clock Spring on a non-airbag car and using green and green/braun for powering a iPhone mounted on the non-airbag steering wheel? (For the audio signal, I will try Bluetooth (BELKIN Bluetooth Music Receiver or GRIFFEN BlueTrip))

Thanks.

MN
Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

there is a wheel and airbag with a nice price break available now....

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...ack-700-a.html
Old 04-28-2012, 11:59 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

vrrrruuummmmpp.....

standard bearer on interior ****...

/
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2012, 04:22 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks man. I bought a new tiptronic wheel and am using the buttons to control my stereo (write up coming soon). If anyone is interested in me old wheel and clock spring drop me a PM.

Last edited by gregeast; 04-28-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm gathering parts for this as well and have the clock spring already.

I have a nice OMP suede wheel now but since I bought a 993 RS wheel for my father I really like the stock lock of Porsches steering wheels and I had the 3-spoke in my earlier 996s and love the look and feel of it so would be nice to have in the 951.

The thing is that I don't have airbag and figure that it might be dangerous to install an airbag wheel without connecting it...?

So I'm thinking of buying a deployed airbag and buy a new airbag cover and install it with the same procedure like above.
Or could I just place the cover without the airbag and have a working horn?

Thanks!
/Peter
Old 07-09-2013, 12:32 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

there is no danger of it going off.

and once set, so long as you do a good job with your ground your airbag light shouldn't come on. if it does, the computer will have to be reset for the airbag/s to function.

the trickiest part of this mod is knowing how much metal to remove from the back, and how deep to bore. there is very little margin for error, as you can render the wheel unsafe if you bore too deep (front of the hub). you must remove no more than between 1/4~(5/16" maximum) off the rear and bore no deeper than 1/8" in the front.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

The cover attaches to the airbag frame, a deployed airbag would work fine. The horn wiring is separate from the airbag wiring so you should be fine there as well but you need the airbag frame to close the horn contacts.

Edit: After thinking about it a bit, the airbag itself rests against the back of the cover and provides the structure to support the center of the cover. You'll either need to fold the deployed airbag back in to the frame or come up with something to cover the hole.

Last edited by gregeast; 07-09-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

My 951 doesn't have airbag so I guess I won't have any issues regarding the airbag light?

Will I even need the clock spring if I don't run airbag?

Airbag wheels are really heavy so it would be nice to gut it out somehow to loose a few grams.

Ok so I need to grind the back of the wheel also? Thought only bore out the inside?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:12 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was able to only bore the front of the wheel, I took off just enough material to allow that big, flat 24mm nut to fully engage its threads.

I'm not sure on the clockspring, you may be right, you may not need to swap it since you're not using the airbag. I would buy the wheel and test fit it before buying the clockspring I think.

BTW, I added some comments on using a deployed airbag in my post above.

Last edited by gregeast; 07-09-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Airbag 996 3-spoke Steering wheel in 951 - Now with How-To