Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bastard Thieves

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:42 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bastard Thieves

Rant on.........

Last nite both my Ridgeline and our MDX were 'broken into'...that's in quotes because both cars (one in the detached garage and the other in the driveway) were not locked. It's very unusual that I don't lock my Ridge...but I guess the thieves got lucky.

Gone are my company laptop, a Treo 650 and a 30gb video Ipod along wit a slew of things of lessor value....as well as my pride.

By the things that were not taken, it appears the thieves were either dumb or kids.....either way I feel violated.

Also learned some lessons about what not do with my cars...by the way...since the driver's door on the S2 won't open (topic of another one of my threads) they did not get into it!

While I am not a fan of guns in homes.....today I had a HUGE urge to by a shotgun and join the NRA!

Scum-bags............

rant off........
Old 11-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. You're lucky you weren't around. A cornered criminal can be unpredictable and irrational. I'm glad only your pride was hurt and replaceable things stolen.

Being one who has had his car broken into, totally sucks man. Hopefully insurance will cover it. Since it was on your property, look into putting it under homeowner's insurance. Worked for me. Good luck buddy!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:53 PM
MY83944
Racer

Remington 870 (Magnum optional) 12 gauge with a 18.5" barrel (#24620) and #1 buck shot is my suggestion.

Oh, and a Ruger P90 .45 auto for back up.

:-)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:58 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to point it out, but it usually is a lot easier and cheaper to simply lock your car doors than go and buy a gun.

I'm a real security nut (I get pissed when my parents leave the back windows open on our minivan, so I don't have much simpathy for people that leave their cars unlocked and then get their stuff stolen.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:06 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That just sucks, I'm sorry to hear it.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:21 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys....by the way...Bill..as I said, I normally do lock my doors. Would it have made you feel better if they'd broken my window? To put it in perspective, I live in a very 'suburbs' town..albiet not far from the city...on a long and winding dead end street that terminates at a state reservation. It's not an urban area and many people in the area are not the 'lock the car' types....or they were not until now (I emailed the entire neighborhood at 5:45am).

I don't feel good that we made it easier...but it was the thieves who did the stealing.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

NEVER shoot at someone standing by your car. No personal experience, just imagining what could happen.

Sorry about the losses. Thank goodness you nor your family were hurt.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:32 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J Berk
Thanks guys....by the way...Bill..as I said, I normally do lock my doors. Would it have made you feel better if they'd broken my window? To put it in perspective, I live in a very 'suburbs' town..albiet not far from the city...on a long and winding dead end street that terminates at a state reservation. It's not an urban area and many people in the area are not the 'lock the car' types....or they were not until now (I emailed the entire neighborhood at 5:45am).

I don't feel good that we made it easier...but it was the thieves who did the stealing.
Yeah, no, sorry, my bad. My post made it sound like I'm more of an *** than I was trying to be. Sorry your stuff got stolen and congrats(the right word?) that they didn't do any damage to the cars in the process. I have a friend who's rather car security retarded and had a bunch of stuff stolen from his, so I have a idea what its like.

I guess the main point I was trying to say was just that no matter how "nice" of a community you live in theft is always a problem. I know the area I live in is a nice bubble with most residents thinking there is no crime at all, but there is actually a quite high rate of auto theft because people are so dumb and leave their cars unlocked/parked on the streets/etc. Not that it doesn't make you feel any better, I guess its just one of those things you have to make sure you always check.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another thing to consider- if you HAD locked the doors, how can you be sure that they would not have busted the window anyway? I mean, I'm not suggesting to leave doors unlocked & make it easier, but I have had mine broken into for a 15yr old amplifier- it's a SICK feeling- I have had plenty of guns & am very emphatic about my right to own one- right or not, I'll be keeping them- but the fact is, what good would it do to have a full-on arsenal if you weren't around when it happened? I mean, even having guns, I know I can't just sit by the car, 24/7 w/my Mossberg 590 & several back-ups, just waiting for the possible sh**bag, degenerate losers to come by... I'm planning on an alarm once I get my car in slightly better shape- still, even those can be overcome by some... good luck on getting your stuff back together- the good news is, it can be replaced... still, sorry to hear it happened to begin with... I know your pain well...
Old 12-01-2006, 02:35 AM
zbeeblebrox
Advanced

While I am not a fan of guns in homes.....today I had a HUGE urge to by a shotgun and join the NRA!
as a member I can say that the NRA would be glad to have you.
but man that does suck. but no damage to cars at least. lets hope it never happens again or to anyone else.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:00 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this. Locking might have prevented it but if they really wanted it they could have broken a window took what could and ran.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:17 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Phi1720
. . . . A cornered criminal can be unpredictable and irrational. . . . .
Only until you shoot them. Bastards!

I know how you feel. Same way that I felt when someone broke my car window and took all my stuff inside. Caused me to never go to Detroit and never spend any money there either. Their loss.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:47 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to here about this. Invest in one of these. AK-47, this S.O.B. will go through a brick wall. The drum magazine is when the real fun begins! The 45 shot mag is plenty, but you can never have enough. If this one jams on me, I got plenty other one's at my disposal. I live in Tn. remember?
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2006, 09:00 AM
MY83944
Racer

Originally Posted by jugger911
Sorry to here about this. Invest in one of these. AK-47, this S.O.B. will go through a brick wall. The drum magazine is when the real fun begins! The 45 shot mag is plenty, but you can never have enough. If this one jams on me, I got plenty other one's at my disposal. I live in Tn. remember?
While I enjoy that type of a weapon, for the reason you mentioned I do not find it ideal for "home type" protection.

You fire that sukka in the house you better hope no loved ones are on the other side of the wall(s)!

Nice rifle, even nicer magazine.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:10 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Rant on.........

Last nite both my Ridgeline and our MDX were 'broken into'...that's in quotes because both cars (one in the detached garage and the other in the driveway) were not locked. It's very unusual that I don't lock my Ridge...but I guess the thieves got lucky.

Gone are my company laptop, a Treo 650 and a 30gb video Ipod along wit a slew of things of lessor value....as well as my pride.

By the things that were not taken, it appears the thieves were either dumb or kids.....either way I feel violated.

Also learned some lessons about what not do with my cars...by the way...since the driver's door on the S2 won't open (topic of another one of my threads) they did not get into it!

Scum-bags............

rant off........
We had a rash of car break-in's in my neighborhood last year. Many of the cars were unlocked. The police stopped by to check to see if we had any problems (because each house on either side of mine was hit), and I checked the vehicle that is parked in my driveway overnite (verses the other two that are in the garage) and nothing was missing and it had not been broken into (it was locked). The police said the reason they didn't miss with it was two-fold: 1. I didn't have anything of value in it (not even loose change). 2. The vehicle is parked right up against the garage and there is a motion-sensing security light there. I usually never leave anything of value in the car anyway, but from that point on I decided to be extra careful about it. They also recommended that I take the garage door opener in at nite with me so that the theives can't break into the vehicle, open the garage, and clean it out (or attempt to get into the house).

It's a hard lesson to learn, but you shouldn't leave anything of value in your vehicle when you leave it parked in your driveway. Its an invite to thieves for an easy target. You might want to consider taking your work laptop and other goods into the house at night when you come home. I know it sucks but if you get into the habit of doing it you'll do it all the time and it won't seem like much of a chore.

Quick Reply: Bastard Thieves