Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bastard Thieves

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 02:41 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful with the guns. There was a guy around here (SE Wisconsin) who shot a kid breaking into his car when he lunged at him with a club or something. The kid died. The guy was convicted of first degree murder and is going to prison for life, no parole.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:49 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats odd, usually if its shoot to kill on the first shot you can play it off as personal defense, but anything after the first shot it assault. Or its assault if the guy lives. Something like that...
Old 12-01-2006, 05:33 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

I don't know all the particulars of the case, but it made a lot of news around here about a month ago. Adding a gun to any situation is a big escalation of a bad situation. I would never do it.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quinnfiske
Adding a gun to any situation is a big escalation of a bad situation
This is true, but sometime it's the best way- those instances are probably very few & far b/t though. One of the many probs here is whether or not the criminal has one too... I like the idea of Tasers, personally... You can zap someone down, call the cops, & continue to zap them, everytime the urine stops running down their leg, thus keeping them subdued until the cops come to "rescue" them...
Old 12-01-2006, 06:25 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

If you shoot someone breaking into your car - you are going to prison, unless the perpetrator attacks you. That is rare - most thieves are just that, thieves. Please, please, do not shoot someone over a property crime - it'd be the shooter that spends the rest of his life in jail.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:55 PM
El Commandante
Pro

agreed,
Its better to let insurance take care of it than to bring a gun into a situation and risk taking someones life. Although i own several firearms i would never use them on a human unless it was completely a matter of life or death
Old 12-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Michelle- what if you just shoot to wound the person, to hold them until the cops there..? Unfortunately, it seems that the criminals have the more rights than victims...

What would be the best thing to do...? Is the Taser thing legal...?

I also like the idea of minor booby-traps- something to maybe take the end off a finger maybe, when someone tries to rip your stereo out, but not something that could actually kill them... So long as you get to your car before the theif gets the cops there, then it's your word against their's as to how they got cut... Everyone's heard the story about the razor blade amplifier I'm sure...
Old 12-01-2006, 07:30 PM
El Commandante
Pro

i think electrified door handles would be a great idea, just enough voltage to knock them unconscious
Old 12-01-2006, 08:05 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

It is really easy to protect your cars and homes from thieves. The greatest problem is that folks really don't believe in their heart of hearts that they will be a victim. It's called The Law of Self Exception. Once you discover you can be victim you will , hopefully anyway, not overreact and do the prudent things. Cars should have imobilizers, alarms, and be in a locked garage. If you can't garage it then a motion light is an excellent security device. You can't eliminate risk but you sure can mitigate it and getting a gun to protect a car is not necessary, but I understand how you feel.

Quick Reply: Bastard Thieves