Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maxtronic and 944S2MAX - Rennlist discount 12/01/06-01/01/07

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006 | 08:39 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Default Product update

I've been working with the manufacturer for the switch interface for map switching as stated above. This update is in regard to that. Not everyone will want to switch maps, but a lot of people will want that functionality. So the Maxtronic will ship with the switch if requested, at no additional charge. Also, when shipped with the switch, switch position 8 will select a valet map. The switch is an 8 position rotary switch that can be remotely mounted up to 6 feet away from the Maxtronic.

Again, this is a fully supported, complete solution.

Regards,
Russell
Old 12-09-2006 | 02:50 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Russell, I like to be able to use the stock chip for diagnostic purposses. The great thing about this is it will make it so much easier. Is it possible to make stock maps adjusted for a 3.0 bar FPR, which would make it as simple as a flip of a switch to do it?
Old 12-09-2006 | 03:11 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Actually yes, it would be quite easy to modify the stock chip mappings to work as intended with a 3.0 bar FPR, not a problem.

Regards,
Russell
Old 12-09-2006 | 03:33 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Another update...

Originally I was going to ship the Maxtronic as is, and offer the switch ability as an add-on. I chose to provide a greater value by including the switch with the Maxtronic for the greatest amount of versatility for the customer. This has caused a delay in product shipping. The interface for the switches has been held up a bit at the production facility. I am told there is going to be up to 2 week delay in receiving the product. I will update everyone here when the complete package is ready to ship, and I will also extend the 30 day promotion period based on the 'ship-ready' date. I apologize for the delay, but the final product will be well worth the wait!

Regards,
Russell
Old 12-10-2006 | 12:20 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

A fellow in the other forum asked for a picture of the switch, thought I'd post it here too...
Attached Images   
Old 12-15-2006 | 03:03 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Moving right along...

The switch interfaces are coming next week! And I thought you might want to see a screenshot of the user interface for the Maxtronic. I wrote this myself of the past few days to make your Maxtronic experience a little more enjoyable. There's no need to be entering in hex addresses and such. This is point and click and won't allow you to corrupt your chip images.

Old 12-18-2006 | 05:39 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Now that the Maxtronic Maxloader application is complete, I have made the helpfile distribution available on our website so you can go ahead and have a look at how it works...

Help

Regards,
Russell
Old 12-19-2006 | 12:22 PM
maddydaddy
Advanced

Pretty awesome Russ! Do you know when they will ship?

James
89 944 S2
Old 12-20-2006 | 02:07 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

The switch interfaces we're waiting on should be on their way this week, I'll update when I have them in hand.
Old 12-29-2006 | 10:02 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Just installed the S2max chip yesterday. The chip arrived very well protected and in perfect shape. Installation was smooth and this was my first experience tearing into a DME so it was a litle nerve racking. This is on a 1991 944 S2 in excellent condition w/ 54,000 miles.

Results - Butt Dyno

(The co-owner and daily driver of this car is just learning about Porsches and spends no time on the Boards digesting the rhetoric so I trust his impressions even more) These are his impressions.

1) Noticably more "pull" earlier in the rev range. 3200 RPM now feels like 4200 before the chip.

2) Throttle response improved. Noticably more immediate.

3) Even more eager to hit the upper rev range - very smooth - very linear

The improvements are very noticable in the normal driving range. Nice improvement for the money. We haven't played yet in the WOT range yet that should be rewarding as well.

Thanks Russ!

Jeff
Old 12-29-2006 | 10:45 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Sounds intriguing. . . And probably cheaper than investing in that Intronics Pocket Programmer and a bunch of blank EPROMs like I've been considering.

How scalable is this thing for various configurations - different injectors, different turbos, etc.? Let's say I go from 65# to 83# injectors and want to re-tune. Can I simply go into the editor (for example) and move the existing fuel map curves down by 28% and approximate what I'll need and then re-tune from there?

If so, this could represent a real revolution in tunability for 951 guys - developing new timing & fuel curves for various configurations of the cars over time. Let's face it, not too many people afford doing ALL their mods at once (turbo, MAP/MAF, injectors, exhaust, cam, wastegate, controller, etc.) and as such, either have to continually re-purchase chips for the new configurations as they get done (very $$$) or wait, meaning they're running less-than-optimal configurations until they get around to completing everything.

If that's what this really is, put me down as interested - I'd be very curious in getting some feedback from a couple of the first few guys that tinker with this. If this does what I think it will, it's almost as good as a standalone EMS. . . Almost. Not quite that level of tunability since it relies on all the existing limitations of the Motronic system, but a damn nice thing to have until one gets around to spending two grand on a TEC-3 or whatever.

Also, will there be a way to download maps off existing chips? I have probably six different sets of chips downstairs I'd love to have (and edit) the maps off of, but until I get a chip reader or take it to a friend's place who has one, I won't be able to. Can this thing pull 'em down?

In criticism however (and don't take this the wrong way, because I'm very intrigued by what you're doing here), I will say that the interface controller looks rather cheaply made and suceptable to breaking. I'd be very careful with those. Thin plastic boxes are always a bad idea around cars or garages. Always.
Old 12-29-2006 | 06:10 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Sounds intriguing. . . And probably cheaper than investing in that Intronics Pocket Programmer and a bunch of blank EPROMs like I've been considering.

How scalable is this thing for various configurations - different injectors, different turbos, etc.? Let's say I go from 65# to 83# injectors and want to re-tune. Can I simply go into the editor (for example) and move the existing fuel map curves down by 28% and approximate what I'll need and then re-tune from there?

If so, this could represent a real revolution in tunability for 951 guys - developing new timing & fuel curves for various configurations of the cars over time. Let's face it, not too many people afford doing ALL their mods at once (turbo, MAP/MAF, injectors, exhaust, cam, wastegate, controller, etc.) and as such, either have to continually re-purchase chips for the new configurations as they get done (very $$$) or wait, meaning they're running less-than-optimal configurations until they get around to completing everything.

If that's what this really is, put me down as interested - I'd be very curious in getting some feedback from a couple of the first few guys that tinker with this. If this does what I think it will, it's almost as good as a standalone EMS. . . Almost. Not quite that level of tunability since it relies on all the existing limitations of the Motronic system, but a damn nice thing to have until one gets around to spending two grand on a TEC-3 or whatever.

Also, will there be a way to download maps off existing chips? I have probably six different sets of chips downstairs I'd love to have (and edit) the maps off of, but until I get a chip reader or take it to a friend's place who has one, I won't be able to. Can this thing pull 'em down?

In criticism however (and don't take this the wrong way, because I'm very intrigued by what you're doing here), I will say that the interface controller looks rather cheaply made and suceptable to breaking. I'd be very careful with those. Thin plastic boxes are always a bad idea around cars or garages. Always.
Hey Jeff,

The Maxtronic alone gives you the ability to load up to 8 different maps. It is an EPROM emulator and nothing more. It gives you access to your chip images, and the ability to modify them in real-time. The release of the MaxTune software will give you that functionality of tuning. There are several existing programs for static tuning which you can download and use now but they don't allow for real-time tuning. When MaxTune is released, you will have access to the fuel/timing maps, FQS scaler functions, rev limiter, and AFM/MAF transfer function tweaking. It will be a graphic interface that is very straight forward to use, and will have built in boundaries and safety mechanisms to keep anyone from trying to make adjustments beyond safe limits.

I have written a user interface to the device called MaxBin, there are screenshots of it in this thread and you can download the help file at http://www.maxhpkit.com/help/MaxBin.hlp

This interface allows you to select the memory positions in relation to switch positions, give descriptions to the chip images, and read/write the images from/to the Maxtronic. This is accomplished via a USB interface. The Maxtronic itself is mounted under the floorboard alongside your DME computer and need not be accessed directly once installed. However, if you do not have a laptop to bring to the car, you can remove the Maxtronic from the car, take it to your PC, program it, and re-install by only unplugging a header cable that goes inside the DME computer, not having to remove the computer itself.

I am still trying to decide the best way to handle extraction of images from existing chips. One way is to loan out a chip reader on a deposit which allows you to read your chips, and save the files. But that means potentially having to have several such readers on hand, and the lead time of waiting for someone to use it and send it back. The second option would be for me to provide the service of extracting the images for you and placing them in your download area or emailing them to you, or even burning them onto a CD and sending them back with your original chips. Haven't fully decided on this yet. When you register your Maxtronic product you will receive a username and password to access your private upload/download area. Any tunes done for you will be available there, and gives you the ability of off-site storage of your images. You will also have stock, no-start, and valet images for your car available to you in your download area. I cannot ship the units with these images on CD as there will be too many, so those images will be made based on your base maps. Product registration will also enable you to immediately use the GoLive feature of the MaxBin software which provides real-time access to your running primary image. So if a user has access to any other live-tuning software they can use it now without waiting for MaxTune to be released.

Yeah I'm not crazy about the plastic case either. Granted, it's a very thick and durable material, but in the case of other cars where the computer might be in the engine compartment or other hostile environment I wouldn't want to mount this there. The circuitry itself is MIL-SPEC and will hold up for many many years under the most undesirable conditions.
Old 12-29-2006 | 09:41 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Russell, any update on when this is going to be ready to ship with the switch? I was willing to do the large deposit and pay shipping to borrow the card reader, but for me it would be much easier to send you the chip with a few $ (for your time and return postage) and then just download the image. The only problem I see with doing it that way is if someone can't be without the chip for several days.
Old 12-29-2006 | 10:35 PM
ahsan127
Instructor

quick question...I have a 91 s2 with an intake and exhaust. Will a regular 944s2max chip work fine or would you have to modify it?
Old 12-30-2006 | 12:13 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I'm really interested in this. Let me get a few more things done on my 951. Once that's done I'll be needing chips anyway, so what the heck, I might as well look into one of these bad boys. Probably won't be for another couple months, but nice to know it's out there.

Nice to see people pushing for some R&D on these cars. . . I'm really interested to see what some of the feedback is from a couple of turbo guys on these units.

Quick Reply: Maxtronic and 944S2MAX - Rennlist discount 12/01/06-01/01/07