Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone put the KYB inserts into sealed struts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006 | 08:13 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
You can get a set of early strut housings with removable inserts and make them work (transfer heat shield mounts, etc), or do the koni conversion from paragon. That koni insert uses a threaded bolt a the bottom of the strut insert to hold it to the strut housing, which is why it stays in place.

I will say this though, if you buy kyb's now, you will be doing the job again in a year. You get what you pay for.
You will need to get early spindles as well, the bolt pattern and width of the opening for the strut are different between early and late.
Old 11-28-2006 | 08:37 AM
owner944
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I will say this though, if you buy kyb's now, you will be doing the job again in a year. You get what you pay for.
KYB = The Kia of the shock absorber industry...
Old 11-28-2006 | 09:39 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03
Anything is possible if you really want it. I have spare late strut cores already drilled, cut, and primered; ready for Koni inserts. I just sold my early KYB GR2 inserts, because they did NOT fit. The Koni insert bores are wide, well enough to slide into the strut cores. The early inserts are narrow and don't mate to the core wall.

Before I sold them and disbanded the idea, I thought of simply making some aluminum spacers, 2 per strut, that would align the inserts. Past that I was going to weld up a small steel ring at the top for sealing purposes. If you want to have KYB and have the time do do the project, you can certainly do this if you double check the strut effective lengths!

I'd personally like to see it done. If I didn't have the need to sell many parts, I would have liked to have done it just... well, because!

-Kevin
Thats what i wanted to know. The generic pictures dont do squat. actually trying to do the job is what i wanted to know.

so if you paid yourself say $10 an hour, you would save maybe $40 over just dropping in the koni inserts.

Guess i have to ask santa for some konis. gotta first see how bad the control arm bushings are cracking. the alignment shop just rattled off things that should be done. at $270 for the bushings from paragon, 600 for the shocks then labor i would be out some 1300 on a car worth less than the 6k i paid for it before the work and not worth $200 more than the repairs.

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. I think it will answer a lot of searches to come.

Quick Reply: Has anyone put the KYB inserts into sealed struts?