Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSD or not ... that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 02:49 AM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD or not ... that is the question

Maybe I'm getting old and confused ... so check this out ...

Okay so some dope in a pick-em-up truck pulls along side me as I'm trying to leave a parking lot. He totally blocks my view of approaching traffic. As I pull even further out to look I see that I have to hurry up and go. Being annoyed I stepped on it to hard and cut the tires loose. On my way back I saw two 5 or 6 foot tire marks but thought that only one must have been mine.

Then last night as I was pulling into my garage I chirped the tires. My garage is 1 1/2 to 2 inch higher then the driveway, there was also just a little sand there. Anyway as I gave it some gas to climb over the lip into the garage the tires chirp. As I'm getting out I notice there is two sets of tire marks (only like 2 or 3 inches long) going into the garage.

I thought I could only leave two tire marks if I had some type of LSD rear end, or am I wrong?

I'm not sure of the set of marks leaving the parking lot, but the two going into the garage are definitely mine.

I can't jack the car up yet since I'm still waiting on a proper jack. I think my current floor jack will mess up the car so I can't lift it to find out. But when I can if I turn one tire and the other tire spins in the same direction then it's a LSD right?

Here's what I have ...
1989 N/A
5 spd
M164
M454
M533
M573
M593
M650
M946

-----------------------------------------------------
Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 11-24-2006, 03:37 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, if you turn one tire, & the other goes the same direction, then you have LSD- at least the ZF style LSD that a 944 would come with. As for leaving rubber, I've never been able to do more than one tire mark in any car I've ever tried in, that did not have LSD- I've tried a bunch of them too- Ive heard some say that it can be done, but not for long- in other words, if one tread mark is 20ft, the other might only be 1ft or so... Thing is, an open diff takes the path of least resistance- in other words, once one tire starts to spin, it becomes the easiest tire to turn & therefore, all of the power diverts to that spinning wheel... Someone here will surely know the option codes for the ZF LSD though....
Old 11-24-2006, 11:58 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 101 Posts

You can spin both wheels without a LSD. If traction is fairly even and you are going straight ahead both will light up. Find an open peice of asphalt in a safe area and do tight circles in 2nd gear and then crack open the throttle. Without an LSD you should light up the inside rear pretty seriously.

Also when you jack it up to turn one wheel, the transmission has to be in neutral.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:21 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

according to your option codes, no you dont
Old 11-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Speed Demon
Instructor

i have an 86 turbo...

when i try to burn some rubber i get a "thump" "thump" noise in the back....

do i have an LSD?
Old 11-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not look at option codes to determine what is installed on your car. Your car is almost 20 years old, who knows what has been added to it. Even the numbers on the tranny case are no gaurantee, as it could be internally modified.

I have an 89 951S LSD tranny in my 86 951.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Wish I had time to check out those marks leaving the parking lot. That was a tight right turn. Though I wasn't trying to do a burn out. It just happened due to being really annoyed with the knucklehead in the truck and traffic coming.

Yeah ... being so old is why I'm wondering if maybe it had been changed at some point in it's life.

I was thinking ... going into the garage both tires started off on lightly sand covered cement. So that lack of traction might have been the cause. Heck I let off RIGHT away since I was pulling INTO the garage. So the marks were only like 2 - 3 inches long.

If I don't get either the jack or adaptor soon I'll try that 2nd gear turn thing when I can find a empty lot one night. Though I'm due for tires soon and I can have it checkout out then. I'm in no rush to find out. It's not like I'm going to sell it if it doesn't have it. Sure would be nice if it did though.

-----------------------------------------------------
Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 11-24-2006, 01:53 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speed Demon
i have an 86 turbo...

when i try to burn some rubber i get a "thump" "thump" noise in the back....

do i have an LSD?
Sounds like wheel hop.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:25 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schnellfahrer
Sounds like wheel hop.
yea, less clutch; more gas
Old 11-25-2006, 02:21 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll add to the wheel-hop theory for Speed Demon, but it really doesn't tell you a thing about LSD...

Try to find an off-road section to test the LSD- especially if it's slightly uneven, etc- then really get on it & see how it does... Best-case would be a strip of asphalt next too some dirt, etc, so you could get one wheel on each... Still, the easiest way- when the car's in the air, twist a back wheel & see if the other goes the same direction- if so, it has it... In neutral, of course, as waqs earlier said.....

Quick Reply: LSD or not ... that is the question