Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cigarette lighter bulb

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 08:09 PM
hpservertech
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cigarette lighter bulb

How does the bulb attach to the lighter? Mine is just hanging down right now. would be nice to mount it properly.

TIA
Old 11-19-2006, 03:22 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Early or late car?
Old 11-19-2006, 03:46 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 86 there was a little tab that was part of the lcd clock case that the bulb snapped into. I have since accidentally snapped said tab off, as well as accidentally smashing the bulb in the socket (which then blew a fuse), so I don't have the backlight for the lighter anymore. Damn easy to snap plastic pieces.

I'd try just taping/rubber banding the light to the lighter casing.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:45 PM
hpservertech
Pro

late 85
Old 11-20-2006, 02:25 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to say: when I replaced my clock with a working one the new one didn't have the tab to mount the bulb/socket into like the original one did. I don't know if they got rid of it after the late 85's or something, but my original clock had a tab to hold the bulb socket between the clock and the lighter.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:40 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by billthe3
Oh yeah, I forgot to say: when I replaced my clock with a working one the new one didn't have the tab to mount the bulb/socket into like the original one did. I don't know if they got rid of it after the late 85's or something, but my original clock had a tab to hold the bulb socket between the clock and the lighter.
I'm supposed to have a backlight on my lighter???

Anyone have pics (especially taken apart). I've got a late 85. Just had the clock out to find the correct bulb (and it's not an instrument bulb, so I'm still looking). I didn't notice anything that looked like where a bulb would go for the cig lighter.

Daryl
Old 11-20-2006, 02:02 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DarylJ
I'm supposed to have a backlight on my lighter???

Anyone have pics (especially taken apart). I've got a late 85. Just had the clock out to find the correct bulb (and it's not an instrument bulb, so I'm still looking). I didn't notice anything that looked like where a bulb would go for the cig lighter.

Daryl
I'll see if I can get some pics later today. I hate pulling that trim piece out because last time I did it ripped the emergency flasher button out and broke the tab that holds the button in place off in the process (damn connector is to big), but I'll see what I can do.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

I'll see if I can get some pics later today. I hate pulling that trim piece out because last time I did it ripped the emergency flasher button out and broke the tab that holds the button in place off in the process (damn connector is to big), but I'll see what I can do.
I apprecaite it. Obviously not a big deal...it's not keeping it form rolling.

I broke the tabs for my flasher switch too....and cracked it above and below the glove box button. So I'll be looking for a new one of those eventually.

Daryl
Old 11-24-2006, 09:19 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

I realized I had the piece with the broken tabs sitting on the desk next to me and didn't have to go pull apart the car, so here's a pic of the tabs that the bulb was mounted in.

This was the stock piece in my 86 951. When I bought another piece like this and replaced the stock one the new piece did not have the tab though, so I'll probably just rubberband the light to the cigarette lighter assembly (making sure the lighter and light aren't somehow grounding each other out).

First pic: shows the tabs to hold the bulb
Second pic: essentially what the bulb and wires looks like, just sitting up behind the dash - oh, its the same kind of thing as the bulb that lights up the ash tray in the later cars (or is my car the only one with that too?)
Third pic: picture of the back of the tab that holds the bulb, just to show how deep the assembly is in relation to the rest of the piece. This entire tab/mount/wall thing wasn't on the second piece I bought.
Attached Images    
Old 11-24-2006, 10:35 PM
hpservertech
Pro

Awsome. thanks a bunch.

i have an e-mail into Ian at 944online.com to see if he has a new bulb. Mine is burnt out.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:19 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Wow....thanks a bunch Bill! The was incredibly helpful.

And hpservertech...if you happen to get a part number or stock number from 944online.com, please let me know so I can order one.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:26 PM
hpservertech
Pro

I'll update as soon as I hear from Ian. Mine is missing the holder so it looks like some superglue will be used or try to find a new panel off of evil bay.

Is that the exact bulb/wire? Mine has 3 gray wires & a black wire with shrink tube on each of the poles. PO could of done some modifications but judgeing by other things I dont think they did.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:05 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

No, that is not the exact bulb and wire, just some generic picture I found online of a bulb. I'll go take a picture of the actual bulb/wire tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure its the same setup as the one for the ashtray light.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:47 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

No, that is not the exact bulb and wire, just some generic picture I found online of a bulb. I'll go take a picture of the actual bulb/wire tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure its the same setup as the one for the ashtray light.
Lol....so I'm back to how I got into this thread to begin with.......Im supposed ot have a light in the ashtray??!!

I guess I'm looking for both bulbs now

This has been quite a learning experience for me in the last three weeks since I got this car. My previous p-car was a hammered '74 911 that I couldn't afford to insure and ended up putting most of the parts on my '69 Beetle (I was 17 at the time....15 years ago). I'm just NOT familiar with these things at all, but I love working on it and have the shop manuals, so I'm taking it slow. This site rocks.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:51 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Ha, yeah, I know what you mean. I found the bulb for the ash tray light jammed underneath the shifter boot area one day when I had pulled the center console up. Thats easy to take pictures of, so I'll get some of that tomorrow. Being out in the car for that should get me to take some pics of the cigarette lighter bulb as well. lol

Quick Reply: cigarette lighter bulb