Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness mounting question: how to keep stock belts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
If its a 6pt belt.. sandwich the bolt ends for the sub strap under the two front seat belt mounting points.
putting it under the front seat mounts makes it useless. the whole idea is to keep youfrom sliding forward. if it is in front of your crotch and not pushing by the nads you can submarine.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:02 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ubercooper
update: got belts, installed 2 on roll bar (the seem loose even though they are attached tightley) and the door side one. Im curious where to attach the sub belts? I'd rather not drill, but I will if I have to.

also: what should I do with the 2ft of extra belt on the roll bar, can I cut if off?

Thanks
Seb
You will get lots of opinions on belt mounting. What I feel is the best method of attaching sub belts, assuming you have a 6 pt. setup, is to mount the belts to the lap belt mounting points. You will in essence sit on the belts, they will come up between your legs at the crotch and snap into the lock. This method allows the subs to do their job, and prevents your onions from getting diced in the event of a collision. The sub belts are not designed to keep you from moving forward, but to keep the lap belts positioned at the waist so they don't ride up into the abdomen and cause severe internal injuries. The lap belts (primarily) and shoulder belts keep you planted in the seat.

Second best method of attaching sub belts, is to mount them to the front seat mounting bolts, or even to the seat frame itself. I suppose tied for second place would be to mount the subs to eye bolts drilled through the floor and backed up with big-assed fender washers.

You mentioned the shoulder straps are loose, even though they are mounted tightly? Not sure what this means. The buckle should be as close to the bar as possible while still allowing the belt to rotate on the bar. Make sure to triple loop the belts through the buckle. You can cut off some of the excess belts, but make sure to leave some extra in case you change bar/cage or a shorter driver moves the seat forward and needs more belt. Roll up the belt ends and put a zip-tie through them to keep them from flapping around.

Lastly, have someone really familiar with safety systems examine your setup to be sure everything looks good.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:57 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everything is in and works flawlessly, Thanks alot for all the help and advice guys!
-Seb
(ps. good call about the zip tie, I was using rubber bands...)
Old 07-06-2007, 06:37 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any pictures of installed belts?
I want some ideas how i should do
Old 07-06-2007, 02:02 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is after I took my stock seats out and put sparcos in, but its the same idea. I got lazy and only installed the 4/6 points for now. The place where the lap belt and the seat belt anchor are is the same place that you should attach the sub belts.
I'll take some better pics later.
-Seb
Old 07-06-2007, 02:18 PM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that would be great

Quick Reply: Harness mounting question: how to keep stock belts?