Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness mounting question: how to keep stock belts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you buy a 6pt harness from G-Force it includes everything you need with the exception of slightly longer bolts to mount the harnesses to a stock seat. I highly reccommend getting the G-Force set with the h-strap that ties the two harness leads together, put the h-strap behind the drivers seat and it will help to keep the harnesses around your shoulder. Im a pretty slim guy, 155lbs at 5'11'' and i dont have any problems with the harness staying on my shoulders. If your a bigger guy it will probably work even better. Ive used this setup once or twice on the street (just to see what it was like to be strapped in really) and all the time at autocross and it works very well. Paired with sport seats you pretty much do not move at all in the seat.

When you want to use the stock belts, all you need to do is swing the other stuff out of the way behind the seat and move the female end of the seatbelt back into position. The g-force set 5 or 6 bolt ends depending how many points the belt has. Simply unscrew the bolt for the stock belt, stick the bolt end plate ontop of the old belt harness and using the longer length bolt, screw it back into the tunnel. The eyebolt for the outter belt would probably make things a bit easier but its not completley necesary.

If your using a stock seat, i would defenetley go with a 6-pt belt.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

i have one of those h straps in the garage i think. shoot me a pm if you want em.

Jon, you cant use the stock seat and anything but the factory belt at a DE. you can use your harnesses with a set of nifty red/black konig/cobra monaco seats!!!

you going to the holiday party? you should, and if you fly solo you are more than welcome to sit with my family (of three).
Old 11-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Tom, dont think im going to make the holiday party.. $45 is like two weeks worth of Taco Bell!
Old 11-16-2006, 04:36 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased the g-force 6 pt H-type (latch and link) harness the same night I started this thread.
I also got 1 eyebolt and snap hook * are those sold as a set? it doesnt say on the site and I needed 2*
I checked with my local region and it says nothing about harnesses with stock seats, just that harnesses are manditory for the advanced groups (not me).

Im 6'0 and 180 so I think the setup will work out well for me.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

it is a recent rule. I believe NNJR and MetroNY rules are the same. Metro's web site said 4pt harnesses were OK. when I got to the track for tech they told me no good, and my seats had holes in the back for the harness. the rules about holes in the back of the seat predate the rule about having a sub strap. fortunately i still had the factory three pointers.

A harness is optional. but if you are going to use a harness it has to be at least five points, if using a sub strap it has to go through, not around the seat bottom, and the shoulder straps have to come through the back of the seat. a four to six point harness that does not come through the back of the seat offers less protection than a three point harness because it doesnt hold you in in a frontal impact or in a rollover because it may not hold your collar/shoulder which is directly attached to your torso.

I only know what i was told by two people on metro's board. i think Zoltan is telling you NNJRs policy. i dont think the southern NJ region is going to be any different.

i just sold a set of seats that had holes in the back for a harness but no hole in the bottom for a loss after one DE because the rules changed. i also have two brand new still in the box, never mounted FIA approved cobra seats with sub holes and harness holes that i dont want because my back demands a seat that reclines for the three hour trip to and from the track.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:10 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

I just checked your post about the seats, if they were not fixed back I would buy em in a heartbeat, but the 944 is my DD and I need more comfortable seats. The Reisentoter (Pocanos) region will allow stock seats and harnesses (especially if they are the h-type), I checked with them. I wont be doing any DE's until late May, so sport seats are not on my list of Uber-priorities, unless they are reclining and somewhat inexpensive.

EDIT: just called Saferacer to check if the snap hooks come in pairs or singles and it turns out I did need another. and I just got Fuch'd-over because the harness and hardware is backordered until LATE DECEMBER!!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Ah yea i got lucky, i ordered a red 6pt G-Force harness from RacerWholesale.com and they were on backorder for a few months. But they did have two more 6pt black harnesses. All hardware was also on backorder from G-Force for an unknown amount of time the guy at RacerWholesale told me. Im happy i got the black anyhow.. red was a bit over stated for my taste. This was all in early August.

You can try going to StableEnergies.Com in NNJ and getting the hardware from them.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i got the sparco bolt set from cardomain.com. free shipping. give em a try. make sure all hardware is the proper grade of metal so dont get your stuff from home depot or a hardware store.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:09 PM
sidsport
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ubercooper--exactly what hardware are you missing? I have some extra snap-ins and eye bolts that I don't need. If they can be of help, I can send 'em your way....
Old 11-16-2006, 08:58 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

If I get the belts and I am missing something I'll pm you, but at the moment, I believe I have all the hardare I need.

Thanks for the offer
Sebastian
Old 11-17-2006, 01:12 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to try www.ogracing.com for the harnesses. I just picked up a pair of GForce 6 point latch/link harnesses a couple months ago with no wait. I would recomend calling them though since their website doesnt really give you any info as far as what they have in stock.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:29 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Looked around and it seems that the only place that stock the g-force h-type 6pt pull down harness is Saferacer. I think I'll just have to wait it out.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:54 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

update: got belts, installed 2 on roll bar (the seem loose even though they are attached tightley) and the door side one. Im curious where to attach the sub belts? I'd rather not drill, but I will if I have to.

also: what should I do with the 2ft of extra belt on the roll bar, can I cut if off?

Thanks
Seb
Old 11-18-2006, 06:14 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

question bump
Old 11-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

If its a 6pt belt.. sandwich the bolt ends for the sub strap under the two front seat belt mounting points.

Quick Reply: Harness mounting question: how to keep stock belts?