Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16v broken tensioner mount, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 05:45 PM
phooka
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16v broken tensioner mount, what to do?

I was in the process of seals, timing belt, tensioner etc on a spare engine to go into my 944S when I discovered the mount for the tensioner is broken. The missing metal part is nowhere to be found so it must have been ground up/ drained out with the oil at some point. Here's a pic:

http://www.digidale.net/photos/v/car...F0230.JPG.html

Do you think this can be reliably welded and fixed or should I use the head from the other engine (which is much higher mileage, has already broken belt/bent valves once before)?

Should I go ahead and do rod bearings and mains? or just rod bearings. I don't have a factory service manual so I'm venturing into unknown territory regarding specs here anyway. I can't wait to figure out how to retime the thing. (anyone have fsm online somewhere? )

Thoughts?

dale

[edit] I'd also note the engine appeared to only have about 2 quarts of oil when I drained it on the stand. It appeared relatively clean.. but I think this probably answers my question about the mains huh?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:56 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

DALE!!! gimme a call! i found something you want!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 06:10 PM
krahmlow
Instructor

Dale, about getting the head welded. Given the cost of these things, I'd bring it to someone and ask. What could it hurt? I don't see why it couldn't be welded up. It's just a solid piece of metal, and there's plenty left to determine where to grind it down to. Anyway, it doesn't take TOO much stress, or the tensioner wouldn't be attached with those two little screws.

Now, I tend to overdo things, but my thinking here is: if you're doing rod bearings, and it's on a stand already, why not do the mains? You can check the crank, etc., while it's out.

Personally, I wouldn't do ANY of this without a factory manual. Get one on CD-ROM. They're cheap.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:50 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Man, you got lucky......

Take the head somewhere that specializes in aluminum welding/machining. We can put a man on the moon, we can fix that!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:02 PM
phooka
Intermediate

Originally Posted by krahmlow
Personally, I wouldn't do ANY of this without a factory manual. Get one on CD-ROM. They're cheap.
I'd love a reference to a cheap source. My google-fu is not strong today.

dale
Old 11-10-2006, 09:04 PM
phooka
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sharky47
Man, you got lucky......

Take the head somewhere that specializes in aluminum welding/machining. We can put a man on the moon, we can fix that!
Yah after minor cursing I managed to get the head off. The cam bolts appear to be about 7.5mm and required hammering an 8mm triple square on to each and every one to remove them. You can bet I'm replacing them with something other than those things.

I plan on taking the head and parts to a local shop on Monday and see what can be done. It's aluminum, so quite weldable. Just wondering how much more this is gonna hurt my wallet. It seems this car is cursed with problem after problem.

dale
Old 11-10-2006, 09:24 PM
krahmlow
Instructor

There was a guy selling copies of the CD on Ebay. He's probably doing time at the moment for copyright infringement, but you might look there anyway.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:54 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Joseph Mitro had his tensioner pad fail a few years ago and the chain snagged and ripped the tensioner, with part of the head off. He had the head repaired by a good aluminum welder and everything was fine afterwards. Just take it to someone with good skills and experience (preferably who can also do the required machining afterwards).

Good Luck!!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:10 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

That is not bad at all mine was much worse and I got it fixed. Thirty thousand miles ago.

Quick Reply: 16v broken tensioner mount, what to do?