Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I access water hose from head into firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 07:05 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

One more. Sorry. So, I think I can figure out how to graft some fresh hose onto the head pipe from the plenty of pipe I have sticking out of the wall. I am sure racers do this all of the time. I figure the inside stuff is in good shape being inside and all (flames expected). My heater worked fine. Can I look at this as something other than a road fix?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjaffe
Hello-

Don't know the exact terms, but my coolant hose that leads from the metal tube (along the head/below cam tower) into the firewall has cracked. I am assuming it goes to the heater or something. How do I access it to change it? Looks like a process. What else should I change when I am in there? Thanks. Michael
Tis the heater core return/outlet line.

"How do I access it to change it?"

Yep! Remove center console, dashboard, heater box, THEN you'll have access to such. I would recommend removing the front seats first thing to start. Accessability is much nicer! Heater core is a good choice for replacement ('bout $65.00 new), BOTH hoses are definately in order, and lots of misc. nickle-dime stuff like ground repairs, fuse box checks, wire insulation checks, heater box insulation and vent insulation and, well..........

You are a member, SO........do a good search! Search terms........"heater core". LOTS of info. Good luck!!

Simple by-pass option..........hose from head, over to that pipe under the camtower. I sure DON'T reccomend just "plugging it off" at that pipe. Yep, you WONT have any heat from the heater controls, now.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:24 AM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

I went to the hardware store and thanks to some meaningful suggestions (principally genikz and shiners780), I picked up some 5/8 heater hose, 5/8 copper tubing, and some decent hose clamps. I am "splicing" into the hose that comes out of the firewall wall at a better section of the hose and will try to salvage the existing hose connecting to the head pipe, maintain my heater and not crawl into my dash. It shouldn't take long but I am going to wait for natural light to do it. With any luck I will be chasing my friend's M3 in the Santa Monica mountains come Sunday morning on my new Fuchs. Wish me luck and thank you for all of the helpful suggestions.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:44 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Fixed. Thank you so much for the help everyone. Saved me a dash removal.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:19 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right on! Keep an eye on your coolant level and check for a crusty residue around the patched areas down the line. You don't want a slow leak that you don't notice, until you're out of coolant and over heat!

Quick Reply: How do I access water hose from head into firewall?