Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfiring 944 S2 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 12:34 PM
slipbye
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Misfiring 944 S2 Cab

Hi guys, although i haven't posted on these forums i have been checking them out for year's while i have owned my 944 but i really need some help now as the car has almost beaten me

My little porker has been running sweet for the past 6 year's until i started it up a few weeks ago. It starts up but runs REALLY rough, feels like it's only running on 2/3 cylinders on tickover, the whole car shakes while it's misfiring.

My first port of call (i'm not that good with car's) was to check for the spark, replaced coils, disy cap, spark plugs but no joy. It seems to spark fine, changed fuel rail and injectiors incase it might have been injector's didn't fix it. Also got a friend to have a look and he did a compression test and said #4 was low on compression so i thought that could be it. Just had head replaced etc by garage compression is back on #4 as it should be but it's exactly the same

It seems to run okish over about 4krpm, i haven't tested it much as i'm afraid i will break something running it like it is.

Anyone got any ideas? I can't afford to buy a ECU for it atm without knowing it might be that as i'm chasing my tail tbh.

Please help me guys
Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

did you replace the plug wires? You didn't mention them.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 PM
slipbye
3rd Gear

yeah i replaced them aswell

I really do appriciate the help guys, and please feel free to point out any ideas that may seem obvious to you as i'm sure there are alot of things i haven't tried as i'm not to good with mechanic's. I always though fuel+spark+air= liftoff but it's not as simple as that i guess.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:08 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

Ok. Do these things first.

while it is running take a long screwdriver or small diameter pipe, use it like a stethoscope and listen to each injector. They should be clicking.

Make sure you do not have any of the plug wires crossed. Pull each one off far enough so as to make the cylinder misfire. Be careful not to get shocked. the ones that do not change the running of the engine are the ones misfiring. if there is only one then you probably do not have any wires crossed. If two are misfiring try crossing those at the dist cap and see if it runs any better.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Crank Ref Sensor...

Pull it and check it I bet its bad...

Quick Reply: Misfiring 944 S2 Cab