Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque tube overhaul?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006 | 01:29 AM
sillbeer
Pro

Default Torque tube overhaul?

Im wondering if there is a way to just clean the tube and replace the bearings and seals in the torque tube rather than shell out $3495.71 for a new one. Is this possible? My car is making a whiring/grinding noise wehn letting the clutch out in gear. the sound isnt present when clutch pedal is out, or when depressed in neutral. Its only when either starting to move forward or reverse it makes the sound. I figure its throw out bearing or torque tube bearings. The car has about 185K miles and neither I nor the PO know when the clutch was changed
Old 11-10-2006 | 08:54 AM
bader$
Burning Brakes

I rebuilt mine. There are some rebuild instructions on clarks garage I think. Got the bearings for about 60 I think. If you run in to trouble or have questions pm me.
Old 11-10-2006 | 11:14 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Might be your pilot bearing. that was what mine was doing when I let the clutch out, but it stopped once the clutch was fully engaged. It finally failed completely, causing one hell of a vibration at anything over 2000 rpm.
Old 11-10-2006 | 11:59 AM
krahmlow
Instructor

Ugh, I wouldn't wish this job on anyone, but if you do it, don't spare the (rubber/plastic compatible) spray lube. Before disassembly, hit the shaft and carriers with it from all angles. At the end of the day, you will be a MUCH happier DYI-er. Also, if you don't have a pneumatic wrench, then you definitely don't want to use the Clark's "threaded rod" procedure. I just knocked my carriers out with a small, round piece of plywood and the plumbing pipe. Stood the tube on end (on plywood), and they dropped right out (thoroughly soaked in lube, of course).

FYI, there's a guy in Ontario who will do the rebuild for you, if you're up that way. I forget what he quoted exactly.
Old 11-10-2006 | 12:06 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Depending how brave you are, you can climb under the car with it running and feel the torque tube with your hands ( i did it with the rear of the car on ramps and the front wheels chocked). Anyhow i had a great deal of vibration coming from the rear most bearing which was shot on my car. It was making noise when i bought the car at 60k miles and is still making noise at 89k mmiles, it hasnt gotten any worse..though it is annoying.

There are a few procedures on how to replace the bearings in the tube..

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-05.htm
http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index...x_v2&id=56&c=4
http://home.comcast.net/~gq-beej/928/ttrebuild.htm

The last link is for a 928 torque tube, but alot of whats there should apply to the 944 series one also.

There are only 8 replacable items in the torque tube. The four bearings and the 4 inner sleeves for the bearings. Its possible your inner sleeves are still usable, but at 180k miles i would consider just replacing them rather than taking apart the tube, only to find out you need to replace them anyway. JagEng.Com sells replacement sleeves (check in the 928 service section) but they are considerably expensive. Clarks-Garage has the dimensions you need to have new ones machined..and you can probably get them done for considerably cheaper locally..or contact user Sharky47 and he can machine some up for you for much cheaper also (i already asked him about this).

JagEng.Com also sells the bearings you need. I was discussing this with user amjf088 and we both agreed the ones they have should be good, but they are not packed with a high temperature grease. The difference between cost of bearings that have and do not have high temp grease is about $4-5 each. For $20 total its just good insurance to get the best bearings available from the start.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=45666898

These are the bearings we think will be the best bet to trouble free service...thanks to Allan (amfj088) for finding source.

Alternativley, 944Online.Com sells a rebuilt tube for about $800..and i believe there is a guy in Canada (Marcus Blaszak?) that rebuilds them also (cost is not known to me).

Im going to be rebuilding mine sometime this winter during my clutch job, i have a spare one i need to pick up locally. I AM NOT looking foward to dropping the rear suspension to change the damn thing.
Old 11-10-2006 | 01:50 PM
sillbeer
Pro

Awesome! thanks for all the help guys! I guess I'll start pricing clutch kits and the parts needed to do the torque tube, if thats what it needs.
Old 11-11-2006 | 01:01 AM
Ghost944
Instructor

that tech-session tutorial is very violent

Quick Reply: Torque tube overhaul?