Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a drink.... please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
Did you porperly bleed the cooling system?
Hmm... maybe I didnt. I just drained it and then filled it... Ill look up the proper way to to it.
I swear im just an idiot sometimes.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the front end of the car as high as possible. Turn the heat on max and the blower on four, start the car and let it get up to temp.

Open the high point bleed vent and take the radiator cap off. When you see a solid stream of coolant spilling all over your newly rebuild motor, shut the vent.

I highly reccommend filling the block from the upper radiator hose. Dont over do it or you will have a mess trying to get the hose back on, but this way almost insures you get all the air out around the cylinder head.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Thanks techno!
So thats solves the coolant problem...
And it looks like Im going to have to strip down the engine a bit to track down this oil leak.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:02 AM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The balance seals are directional you need to make sure they were installed correctly. You also need to make sure you put in the mylar seal. That is the little clear seal that most people do not know about. It looks stupid like it will not do anything but it does seal the motor. You will want to make sure that you had taken off the original mylar seal from around the balance shafts.

For the over heating problem you want to make sure that the cooling system does not have any air in it and you will also want to make sure that the Tstat is working. Take a look at those things and them get back to us.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Would those mylar seals really make it leak that much? I know I put new ones on both... but now that I think about it, I only remember removing one old one...

Maybe I've found my oil leak???

Thanks again!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:50 AM
krahmlow
Instructor

Don't know if this will help, but it's worth mentioning that it may not actually be the seal. I thought I was having problems with my new lower balance shaft seal after I did a bunch of work. It turned out that my new oil pressure sending unit, right above the seal, wasn't torqued properly (you need an open-end attachment for the wrench). Once I tightened it down properly, no more oil. It's tough to really see where the oil is coming from in there.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krahmlow
Don't know if this will help, but it's worth mentioning that it may not actually be the seal. I thought I was having problems with my new lower balance shaft seal after I did a bunch of work. It turned out that my new oil pressure sending unit, right above the seal, wasn't torqued properly (you need an open-end attachment for the wrench). Once I tightened it down properly, no more oil. It's tough to really see where the oil is coming from in there.

Yeah it is damn tough. I actually checked that unit because I could see oil on it. But I think if I tightened it anymore I would have damged either the car or myself...
Ill have to try it again anyway... see what happens.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2006, 06:13 PM
krahmlow
Instructor

What I did: I checked the tension with a known properly-torqued bolt of the same size/torque spec. with an open-ended wrench, then I compared it, by feel, to the sending unit. It was a LOT looser, even though when I was putting it on, I was afraid I was going to strip it. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Default pics now!

Ill look at that sender again if this doesnt fix the problem. But I have taken off the top cover and one of the bolts was broken... which I didnt notice when putting it in somehow??
And im going to clean the surfaces again and buy NEW bolts and use a damn good amount of sealant. There was a puddle of oil sitting next to the top shaft... and there was no stream coming down from the cam tower so I am going to assume it was the balance housing improperly sealing.

Now that bottom one, I havent been able to get it off because of the passenger side motor mount. I broke one bolt in that housing so far and I found one missing!!! Missing! And I just torqued it to 10ft lbs a week ago, and the car has only run for a grand total of 10 minutes. So thats a mistery to me.
There is one bolt left in the lower BS cover and I cant get at it due to the mount... I guess Ill figure that out tomorrow.

I think other than not using enough sealant it was a very bad idea to reuse those old crusty bolts. I replaced damn near all the other ones aside from just a few... But I didnt have the right size bolts in the eagle day kit LOL

Here are some pics though...
The 1st one is of the puddle above the upper shaft.
The 2nd one is of the bolt missing from the lower cover.
Last is the pic of the drip off the front oil pan bolt....

And no the engine isnt COVERED in oil... its just rather shiney... which in retrospect was not the best engineering idea....

Thanks for all the help... and maybe some ideas on how to get the lower cover off?
Attached Images    
Old 11-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

The lower cover is a pain in the neck. You need to remove the passenger side engine mount.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

CRAP!!!!... any way I can do that w/o a cherry picker to support the engine?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

A piece of metal strut across the shock towers with two pieces of wood on each side as stand offs.

You might be able to do it without removing it.. but having done it myself a few months ago (my memory might be fuzzy) i didnt see any other way to get some of the bolts out.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Oh, and do I have to remove the rear timing cover to get the front bolts on the balance shaft seal? Or do you have another trick for that too?

Quick Reply: I need a drink.... please help.