Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift knob - try this FYI

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Shift **** - try this FYI

I just got what has to be the nicest shift **** ive ever gotten. And ive got a half dozen laying around. My friend jokes about me getting five or six until i am happy.

The 951 came with a Nardi. it made the throws longer. when i had the car teched i had a new shift lever put in (951, not NA). I had him cut the lever and he epoxyd the **** on.

when i took apart the craptacular very expensive momo on the NA i noticed a momo/porsche adapter. got one from performance for 15 plus 7 shipping for the 951.

I got two ***** from autozone for about 12 each. the one on the NA is round and hollow, looks just like the momo sphere and feels pretty good too. it slips over the momo adapter and has three allen screws holding it in. the momo shift boot screws onto the bottom of the ****. looks good, gotta do a little work to get a harmonic vibration out of the hollow ****. good part is it matches the carbon fiber of the momo steering wheel very nicely.

so i went to autozone last night and got a straight solid **** for the 951. spent the extre $3 for the one painted carbon fiber instead of the straight aluminum one.

wow, for 12 it is nice! A lot nicer than the $80 momo that came with the NA that is sitting on my kitchen counter. it is just a piece of aluminum with a hole in it. nice weight. real heavy. feels good. i tossed the bottom collar and slipped it over the momo adapter in the 951. tightened the screws and pulled the generic leather boot up to cover the bottom. i will put a zip tie on the inside in the future after i put some epoxy in it to make sure it doesnt come loose.

bottom line, the 951 now has a "flick shift" like the miata. same shape **** as teh miata, and same flick to shift.

I highly recommed the $21 for the momo adapter. makes life a lot easier.

pictures and tech write up may follow.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:48 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

let me know if you have any success getting rid of that vibration...i bought a momo **** and adapter, but ended up taking it off because the vibration was so annoying.

i loved the shorter throw and the look of the momo ****, but the noise just got to me
Old 11-09-2006, 10:57 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by white924s
let me know if you have any success getting rid of that vibration...i bought a momo **** and adapter, but ended up taking it off because the vibration was so annoying.

i loved the shorter throw and the look of the momo ****, but the noise just got to me
Amen! I bought a short Momo **** with the Porsche adaptor, but couldn't silence the vibration at idle. Drove me nuts, even though the **** is great!

Tom, without photos, I don't know what you're talking about man!! Let's see!!
Old 11-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I think a little epoxy or a piece of electrical tape over the shift lever should get rid of the vibration. will keep you updated. at least i am not alone. i think the solid **** should do something. it is like an echo in the hollow ****. for the hollow **** i plan on putting a little epoxy or maybe a piece of sponge in there to silence the vibration.

think about why the factory **** is solid plastic. they knew what they were covering up.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:12 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh... I've got a LOT of noise coming from my shifter, but I'm hoping that when I do the bushing retrofit to the shift lever, that'll take care of most of it. If not, I'll have to give some of the stuff you're talking about a try.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

any pics?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:43 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Actually, does anyone know where that vibration/noise is really coming from? Is it coming in via the shift linkage, or through the bushing assembly that mounts the lever to the body of the car?

My guess would be the shift linkage, but I'm not really sure. The sad thing is that the rubber pad/endcap that Momo ships with their ***** doesn't do that much to help. it's better than nothing, but it's still not much.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:46 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think our shift levers always vibrate, and that the stock **** has the rubber gromets for a reason! Any new **** that isn't solid and tight will vibrate and make noises.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:12 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orbix
Actually, does anyone know where that vibration/noise is really coming from? Is it coming in via the shift linkage, or through the bushing assembly that mounts the lever to the body of the car?

My guess would be the shift linkage, but I'm not really sure. The sad thing is that the rubber pad/endcap that Momo ships with their ***** doesn't do that much to help. it's better than nothing, but it's still not much.

I had this years ago.

When I first bought it, I had no problems, then a few months before the first service, I told the techs and they said that the belts needed adjusting, reason that this transferred vibration down the drive train.

Sutre enough after service and tyhe belts being correctly adjusted no vibraion.

Then secondly, it happend very badly, JUST BEFORE the clutch went, had the Clutch done and so far NO noise.

there is a reason for vibration., and masking/hiding it, is probably not a good idea !
Old 11-09-2006, 01:22 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
Sutre enough after service and tyhe belts being correctly adjusted no vibraion.
Adrian- Do you remember which belts specifically needed adjustment to take care of the vibration in the drivetrain?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:17 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I just got what has to be the nicest shift **** ive ever gotten. And ive got a half dozen laying around. My friend jokes about me getting five or six until i am happy.

The 951 came with a Nardi. it made the throws longer. when i had the car teched i had a new shift lever put in (951, not NA). I had him cut the lever and he epoxyd the **** on.

when i took apart the craptacular very expensive momo on the NA i noticed a momo/porsche adapter. got one from performance for 15 plus 7 shipping for the 951.

I got two ***** from autozone for about 12 each. the one on the NA is round and hollow, looks just like the momo sphere and feels pretty good too. it slips over the momo adapter and has three allen screws holding it in. the momo shift boot screws onto the bottom of the ****. looks good, gotta do a little work to get a harmonic vibration out of the hollow ****. good part is it matches the carbon fiber of the momo steering wheel very nicely.

so i went to autozone last night and got a straight solid **** for the 951. spent the extre $3 for the one painted carbon fiber instead of the straight aluminum one.

wow, for 12 it is nice! A lot nicer than the $80 momo that came with the NA that is sitting on my kitchen counter. it is just a piece of aluminum with a hole in it. nice weight. real heavy. feels good. i tossed the bottom collar and slipped it over the momo adapter in the 951. tightened the screws and pulled the generic leather boot up to cover the bottom. i will put a zip tie on the inside in the future after i put some epoxy in it to make sure it doesnt come loose.

bottom line, the 951 now has a "flick shift" like the miata. same shape **** as teh miata, and same flick to shift.

I highly recommed the $21 for the momo adapter. makes life a lot easier.

pictures and tech write up may follow.
The OE **** looks like a *****. Couldn't handle it ;-). I too have gone through every Kragen, Pep-boys, Momo, replaced all of the hardware, FRWilks rebuild, etc., etc. Vibration down to a min. I am going to try the sponge implant suggested in another fantastic post on this vibration issue.

In the end, the only I know that doesn't vibrate is the *****. Go figure.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:40 PM
spieln
Rennlist Member

I changed the **** in my 968 to a boxster ****. It also vibrated at first. I retensioned my balance belt and almost all of the vibration is gone. Used the tensioner tool from Arnworx and it worked great.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

My Momo shift **** is sponge worthy!! I'll have to try filling it with sponge/foam!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:18 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
My Momo shift **** is sponge worthy!! I'll have to try filling it with sponge/foam!
Old 11-11-2006, 08:06 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spieln
I changed the **** in my 968 to a boxster ****. It also vibrated at first. I retensioned my balance belt and almost all of the vibration is gone. Used the tensioner tool from Arnworx and it worked great.
Where is the balance belt? All it does is control vibrations - nothing to do with timing, right?

Quick Reply: Shift knob - try this FYI