Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camshaft/Balance belt/rollers what is O.E.M?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006 | 09:12 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

Default camshaft/Balance belt/rollers what is O.E.M?

I was wondering what the experts say regarding the cam belt, balance shaft belt,Cam belt roller(46mm), tension roller, idle roller, tension roller balance shaft. I have noticed severl kits from FCP, GKEURO,Lindsey, etc. All of them range from 146.00(lindsey) up to 182.00 FCP. All claim to be O.E.M. or equivelant. The guy that I might hire to do the work owns a Porsche shop in my area and he also works on Ferrari, Masseratti, etc. He seemed knowledgeable regarding the work but he insisted on using original PORSCHE parts. I asked him what the differance was, besides the 300 bucks, and I was told it could not be guaranteed by his shop unless it's PORSCHE. Wahts the deal? does it matter?.I dont want inferior parts but if there the same like kind and quality id like to save the money.
Thanks
George
Old 11-08-2006 | 10:35 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Porsche parts when bought from the dealer have a 2 year warranty.
Old 11-08-2006 | 11:03 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

In my experience I've gotten household name parts from every supplier I've purchased from. Vertex, Paragon, Pelican, FCP. All belts were contis, Mahle filters, Bosch sensors, etc. Even the plug wires on special from Vertex came with the EXACT same ends and wire as the stock parts. The only part I've picked up locally is the camshaft woodruff key. That's it. And I would consider all of those parts OEM, and at savings over buying direct from Porsche.

If you stick with the known entities, you are going to get good quality parts. All of us here buy from the same places... they would not be patronized if the rennlist mob deemed them unworthy.

Personally, of the two, I would lose more sleep over the extra C-notes missing from my wallet then the quality of the parts I just installed.
Old 11-09-2006 | 12:29 AM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

IME if you take a list of parts and quotes including shipping from the places mentioned above, your local Porsche parts person will come close to matching the price.
Old 11-09-2006 | 12:35 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately Sunset won't give locals the cheap prices without charging shipping too

They happen to be the only Porsche and Audi dealer in Portland... but I do have a connection through my Audi shop, so if and when the local hookup is needed, I still skip the dealer and patronize the local aftermarket shops.
Old 11-09-2006 | 10:14 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

i WAS THINKING ABOUT CONTITECH BELTS AND INA ROLLERS.

Quick Reply: camshaft/Balance belt/rollers what is O.E.M?