Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it safe to tow my 944S with a tow dolly ~150 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006 | 02:49 PM
badmofofosho
I Bad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sd944s
Thanks for all the feedback - how have you loaded your 944 onto the trailer without a functional drivetrain? If I went with the dolly, I was planning on jacking up the car from the side jack points and sliding the dolly under the front wheels.

The trailer option though sounds a bit more difficult, especially on a city street. Maybe a winch / come-a-long hooked to the front of the trailer? If that's the way to go, what hook point do you recommend on the front of the car?
The auto transports from Uhaul will have a bull ring on the tongue, and you can use a ratcheting tow strap to drag the car on to the trailer. I recommend the 2.5"X 25' strap with a large handle, and someone pushing from the rear, but you can do it alone, I have..

I've also pushed dead cars up on the transport several times by myself, but I don't recommend it. Of course I've done that with a car on a dolly too but not nearly as difficult.

I always use the factory tow hooks when strapping down, safety chains, or winching up on the trailer.
Old 10-25-2006 | 03:22 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Mine was definitely a challenge getting it on there without it being drivable. I used a combination of comealong and two people pushing, it wasn't easy and I recall it was a hot day. The dolly should be cake to push a car onto.
Old 10-25-2006 | 03:39 PM
sd944s
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys. It's been said a thousand times, but the people of Rennlist are an incredible resource. A couple additional Q's:

1) Where did you hook onto the front of the 944 to pull it up onto the trailer?
2) Any concerns about the grade of the ramps being too steep that the car bottoms out after the front wheels are on the trailer but the rears are still on the ground? Our cars are so low, I could see them potentially doing the teeter-totter thing at the midpoint of the car where the ramps meet the trailer bed. I just want to make sure there's clearance as it makes the transition from ramps to the bed of the trailer.
Old 11-22-2006 | 11:20 AM
wally
5th Gear

Bump.
I've also got a 944 without any factory tow hook attach point and am wondering about where to attach to pull onto trailer/dolly. Also, before I go to the PDX next summer, if I should have an off-track, or engine failure, and need a tow, where can I safely attach a tow hook? Seems like the turbos have a solution but what happens to the N/A cars? Are we screwed?
Old 11-22-2006 | 03:56 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

I towed an 89 944 from Charlottesville, VA, to Cleveland, OH, earlier this year with a Jeep Liberty. Used a U-Haul dolly. We got the car onto the dolly with three people pushing and one in the car -- no problems.

By the way, the "your car is too low/too wide" bull**** they give you is just a bully sales tactic they use, akin to the crap that car rental places give you. If you want to have some fun, when they give you that line, ask him/her, "oh, really? Well how wide is the Porsh/what is the ground clearance? And how wide is your dolly?" That should shut them up pretty quickly. If not, then threaten to call or write a letter to the national office complaining. You'll either get hung up on or a dolly reservation.
Old 11-22-2006 | 04:11 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wally
Bump.
I've also got a 944 without any factory tow hook attach point and am wondering about where to attach to pull onto trailer/dolly. Also, before I go to the PDX next summer, if I should have an off-track, or engine failure, and need a tow, where can I safely attach a tow hook? Seems like the turbos have a solution but what happens to the N/A cars? Are we screwed?
A friend of mine uses the hole in the bottom of the bumper that is normally used for access to the bumper bolts. He uses a small hook that will stay in the hole.

He also uses those holes to tie it to the trailer. I grimace when I see that, but he hasn't lost the car yet. I use the tiedowns behind the front valence or a strap through the wheels, depending on which car I'm using.

As far as pulling a 944 on a dolly - If you have a good transmission, not a bad one like the original poster, you shouldn't have a problem towing the car. I flat towed a 924s 1000 miles with all 4 wheels on the ground.
Old 11-22-2006 | 09:40 PM
wally
5th Gear

What about off-track excursions? If I go into the beach at the end of the long straight at Mid-Ohio and need a tow to get it out (hypothetically speaking) where can I tell the tow-truck guys to attach to prevent my car from being yanked to pieces? Is there no way to modify the bumpers to allow me to attach the tow rings like the turbo drivers have?
Old 11-22-2006 | 10:41 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

You could go with something like this
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...la.944.020.htm
The weak link then becomes the 4 small bolts holding the bumper to the body. This spring I plan on looking at some way to attach a short nylon strap to the car somewhere secure, with the other end exiting somewhere under each bumper.
Sand traps form a unique challenge, you might need to withstand a force approaching the weight of the car applied to either end of the car, sometimes not in a straight vector. Best to create as strong a tow point as you can fabricate, rather than one that barely passes tech.
Old 11-22-2006 | 10:49 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

There's also this for the rear.
http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9036.php

Quick Reply: Is it safe to tow my 944S with a tow dolly ~150 miles?