Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed AC... vaccuum line question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:21 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removed AC... vaccuum line question

I'm in the final stages of getting my ride back on the road, and I have a question about vaccuum hose routing through the firewall.

Clark's garage does not have a vaccuum chart for the ventilation... so I ask the list:

Since I have removed the AC, what vaccuum lines can be removed through the firewall. There were two lines where the AC hard lines came through the firewall. Are these necessary? I assume the heater control valve still needs vaccuum as I have not removed my heater core.

I need to figure this out so I can install the new vaccuum line kit I just received from Lindsey. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2006, 01:29 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will you be keeping the heater core in? Or will that be coming out as well?
Old 10-23-2006, 01:41 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, for now I'm going to be keeping the heater core. Since the car will be street legal and it is often very damp here in the PacNW, I want to retain defrost for those chilly mornings.

I am however skeptical that the current heater core is fully functional, as I noticed some fluid that seemed awfully close to AF in the padding and drivers floor area when I was stripping the car. I'll find out real soon when she hits the road again, hopefully next week.

If the heater core is shot, I will definitely find myself in a conundrum... I assume you ask as it has an effect on the vaccuum routing?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:00 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you keep the heater you will need to keep both of the vacuum lines going through the firewall near the AC lines.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:23 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
Jim, for now I'm going to be keeping the heater core. Since the car will be street legal and it is often very damp here in the PacNW, I want to retain defrost for those chilly mornings.

I am however skeptical that the current heater core is fully functional, as I noticed some fluid that seemed awfully close to AF in the padding and drivers floor area when I was stripping the car. I'll find out real soon when she hits the road again, hopefully next week.

If the heater core is shot, I will definitely find myself in a conundrum... I assume you ask as it has an effect on the vaccuum routing?
I wasn't sure how far you were going in terms of street --> track car. If you weren't going to keep the heater, you could eliminate those vac lines, the vac storage canister by the battery, the heater control valve & associated plumbing, and run a bypass hose (which is really easy to do.) Then you could remove the heater core when you got around to it.

However, since you're keeping it street legal I can fully understand your wanting to keep the heat hooked up. As 35thslp said, just hook those two vac lines back onto the nipples on that firewall plate and you're all set.

If your heater core turns out to be bad, you can have mine cheap.

Quick Reply: Removed AC... vaccuum line question