Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jim Cooper - Project RennWish

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 05:15 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
Bump....

Stick this thread...

John D.
Thanks John!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:51 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks John!

Thanks to all that have donated or offered to donate.
Special thanks to the Kansas City Wrenching Society for stepping up and taking on the challenge.

Paypal donations are being accepted at dan10101 (AT) pacbell.net
Email for snail mail.
(please state if this is for Jim only or for any future make-a-wish.)
At some point we may decide that we have enough for the Cooper project and begin taking donations for any future Project RennWish endeavours.

Dan Dalen

Last edited by DanD; 11-28-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:26 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi Dan, Doc and Mike..!

No - actually - Thank you!!!! For the folks that do not know Jim Cooper, he is a Rennlist Lifer and has been on Rennlist almost as long as I have. In short - Jim is what Rennlist is all about (look at Mike's pic - and you'll figure it out ) The Cooper project is something Jen and I donated to - and we hope you will as well. Jim and Candy have been struggling for a bit - but with the Kansas City Wrenching Society, damn if Jim won't donate the "Cooper Cup" to another unsuspecting Rennlister (Dan - you may need to 'splain that )

Anyway - this thread is about Jim.

He is in Jen's and my thoughts and prayers.... And that - in short - is why we run Rennlist. It's not about us. It's about folks like Jim and anyone who simply understands what Rennlist is all about.

Thanks again Dan, Doc and Mike...!

John D.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:15 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I want to make sure everyone who has contributed to the project is recognized, because it wouldn't be possible without their donations/time/etc.

Of course all the members of the KCWS. For us, this is just another challenge that all of us jump at with both feet. I won't list all the names, but you guys know who you are!

Witchhunter Performance: Gordon is cleaning and balancing the injectors for us. Please give him all your injector cleaning and balancing business, his service is top notch. We have done many sets through him, and they have all come out great.

George B at 944ecology. You guys know who he is

Travis @ Rennbay: His 968 antenna that he gave us for an event has made it on the car. Customer service is unrivaled.

John Clark of Clark Motorsports in KC: He graciously has donated the 2.7L valves.

DanD is our official treasurer. If you would like to donate anything, please give Dan a shout.

There are a ton of supporters, and I don't know all of them. If I could get sh944 and DanD to throw out some names that would be great!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:04 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Find out more about the famous Cooper Cup here on Jim's Rennlist Website.
http://members.rennlist.com/xdecman/

Non-Rennlist members, John gives each paying member a WHOLE BUNCH of webspace for our use. (just had to plug rennlist a bit.) It's not all about hugs and well wishes...

I do have a list of about 40 people that have donated money to this cause. And even more that have offered parts to help out. Many more that want to donate, but for various reasons, cannot. We Thank You ALL! Before I post names, I'll give the givers a chance to "Opt out" as it was once posted that we would not be listing names. When we include the most important donators to the cause, the Kansas City Wrenching Society, we have over 50 people that I know of that are involved in this in one way or another.

I'll stress this again KCWS guys and gals. We want to have us long distance people footing the bill. So, make sure you provide to me your expenses thru Scott H. It's the least we can do for your long hours of work.

Thanks All
Dan Dalen
Old 11-26-2006, 12:59 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Karl, you forgot to mention Imagine Auto! lol Imagine has been a primary sponsor of the KCWS since day one, and deserves big time kudos for its help on this project as well. Imagine Auto has donated time and parts towards getting Jim's car back on the road. For all of y'all that would like to help out but can't be here to turn wrenches with us, if you could at least call Stephen or Karl at 913-310-9927 and thank them for their help, it would be much appreciated!

Just to keep everyone up to date, here's the latest on the car:

Mechanical: The head is off at John Clarks shop, in addition to sourcing the valves, he said he'd get it rebuilt for us, in exchange for me doing some work on his pc's. Seemed like a bargain to me! The engine bay is slowly getting cleaned, and once I get my flywheel lock back (its on loan locally to another KCWS'er doing belts on his 951) and the head, some pretty rapid progress can be made. On Monday, I will be getting the final list of engine parts together (gaskets, mostly) that we need, and then will be making some calls.

In addition to engine repairs, we will also be doing a lot of the general maintenance stuff that needs to be done on a 944, such as bleeding the brakes, new fuel lines, changing gearlube, etc. The car already has a fresh clutch in it, so it should be pretty solid once we are done. If anyone has a set of brake lines, brake pads or front wheel bearings sets they want to donate, lets us know. I have a lifetime supply of ATE SuperBlue left over from Renntreffen donations (thanks to Ben Wornall and Marketing Solutions Group!) this year, so we are covered on fluid.

Exterior committee has been busy, as theyhave the front valance and nose panel off the car and have been talking with local paint shops. We have two fenders, the front of the car and a spot on the passenger side rear quarter that need paint work. For the most part, the local shops don't want to so much as talk to us until we have the car running, and we run the risk of them getting busy with their "winter projects" if we don't get it to the soon, so we'll have to keep you posted on this one. I do know this much, Lin Burney is EXTREMELY fussy when it comes to exterior maintenance/repairs, and we couldn't ask for a better leader for this department. I am betting the car looks as good as new when Lin is finished with it.

Interior committee, under the direction of Mike Morgan (aka boxdoc here on Rennlist) is also making progress. Since he is a Rennlist regular, i will let him post whatever reports he sees fit, but suffice it to say, when he is done, I expect that Jim and Candy will be blown away. Travis at Rennbay, any chance we could hit you up for a set of regular late model seat covers in black, or at least get a discount? Any help we can get is appreciated!

Regards, ...Scott

Last edited by User 41221; 11-26-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:14 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers to you all for the kind work you are doing for a 'lister in need. It's a very nice thing to see.

Mike (boxdoc), you've got a PM about the parts you requested... I'm glad to do my part. Can't wait to see the resurrection of this thing... I'm sure the look on Jim's face will make it worth all the effort.

And geez, for those who didn't see the value of the rennlist membership before, I can't see a better illustration of the community-oriented nature of things here. We recently had a local AudiWorld/AudiClub member die in a freak construction crane accident in Washington. His family from out of town was amazed at the response from his local friends in the Audi community... the outpouring of support was huge and touching to say the least.

Be thankful for what each of us have, and be gracious in helping those in need. What a great community... it's something I am very proud to be part of. Best of luck on the car, and best wishes to Jim and his family.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:35 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by schwank

And geez, for those who didn't see the value of the rennlist membership before, I can't see a better illustration of the community-oriented nature of things here. We recently had a local AudiWorld/AudiClub member die in a freak construction crane accident in Washington. His family from out of town was amazed at the response from his local friends in the Audi community... the outpouring of support was huge and touching to say the least.
Matt was a very good customer and friend of Stephen and I. He had moved from KC to Seattle a few months ago. He truly was an incredibly genuine person. Our hearts go out to his family.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:28 PM
User 41221
Banned

We have a minor bit of business to attend to... the Make-a-Wish Foundation folks have been very nice and considerate but have requested that we not use the name "Make-a-Wish" in association with this project. They limit their grants to folks under 18 years old. Therefore, we need to come up with a new name!

My suggestion would be the "RennWish Foundation", subject to John D's approval, and hopefully we can keep this going beyond the one time project. Feel free to contribute your ideas or name suggestions.

Regards,
Old 11-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

I wouldnt use the word foundation. I think it is a term of art. How about "Project RennWish". Renn is speed in german so I dont think John would have an issue, especially since he chose Renn after being told by porsche not to use the word porsche.

As an aside, I was at disney's princesses on ice last week with my daughter. during one skit they put a few kids in a boat that went across the rink. my daughter started to wine because she wanted to be in the boat. one of the kids didnt look "right", but i didnt think much of it. the $22 program mentioned make a wish. I hope my daughter, and the child of everyone on this board never gets a ride in that boat!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:40 PM
boxdoc2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I wouldnt use the word foundation. I think it is a term of art. How about "Project RennWish".
I like it!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:11 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

RennWish - Works for Me.

I never thought about the original Make-A-Wish. I'm changing the name of this thread once we decide. They do great work and I wouldn't want to step on their toes.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:24 AM
User 41221
Banned

I like Tom's suggestion as well, "Project RennWish". Anyone else?

Regards,
Old 11-28-2006, 08:21 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey guys....

First - and foremost.. Jen and I wanted to express publicly our thanks to the Kansas City Wrenching Society .. Frankly - Dan, Scott and all the folks there have done all the "heavy lifting" in this effort. Jen's, I, and all Rennlisters give you our thanks - more than you may know...

As for "Project RennWish" - it's a great name. As Scott knows, Jen & I are trying to set something up which will include both Jim and some other efforts. This Thursday, I hope to have a better idea of all it will take to set up and institute a non-profit called Project RennWish. I'll update this thread accordingly...

On a personal note. I am both humbled and honored to be associated with "grass root efforts" such as this. Since 1998- Rennlisters, Jen and myself - have tried to reach out to many causes - and they have resounded with a single common theme - That Rennlist Cares. We have raised, by our "best guess" - nearly $1,000,000 through the years for many causes including charities for children, Cancer research, Paul Newman charities - just to name a few. On that note - I'm as proud that whatever the cause on Rennlist - 100%, every dime, every penny has gone directly to the designated cause.

That is what "giving" is all about - and whatever name the "Project RennWish" non-profit comes to life as - it will uphold that same principle. One hundred percent of any donation will go to its intended designation.

In the meantime... Simply "thank you" to the Kansas City Wrenching Society and all Rennlisters, as indeed - all of you are what it is all about....

John D.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:26 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said...

Let's make it somewhat official.
John, can you change the title of the thread? I tried doing the first message, but it only changed the title of the first message.

Quick Reply: Jim Cooper - Project RennWish