Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 944S owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:39 PM
czar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 944S owner

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself even though I've already made a couple of posts. I'm a new 944S owner, but this is my 3rd Porsche. I had an '83 944 back in 1995, and a '68 912 last year. I was 17 when I got my first 944, much to my parents chagrin, and there were definitely a few harrowing moments behind the driver's seat...both when I was going just a little too fast (although my 944 never let me down, just a small disagreement between the rear quarter and a guadrail) or when I realized something was wrong...especially when the clutch went.

I got my "new" 944S off of ebay about 2 weeks ago. I've bought and sold a bunch of cars on there, and this is one of the best yet. If anyone's interested, here's the link: eBay auction The item # is 320031572746. It has almost all of it's records since new - the dealer records up until about 80k are in the maint. book, and the rest on paper from a Porsche mechanic - all the biggies - new clutch, betls, water pump, etc. I had it shipped from FL to NY within 2 days of the auction end and I've been driving it since. I had it looked over by a local Porsche mechanic and the only mechanical issues are slight wear to the ball joints, so I am going to rebuild those over the winter with a kit from Rennbay. Also, the wheel bearings need to be repacked - I'm going to replace them with new bearings over the winter. The odometer and sunroof don't work, so I'm in the midst of trouble-shooting those (odometer didn't work and now speedo and odo. don't work after new gear install). Sunroof has 3 wires cut, so I still have to look into that.

Car drives real well, engine pulls strong, although much differently than my other 944. Interior is in great condition, with newer S2 seats.

Right now I'm installing all new seals (hatch, sunroof, etc.) before winter sets in. I've changed the battery, oil and filter, fuel filter, and air filter, and the wires, cap, rotor, belts, etc. were all done within the last 10k. Hopefully, over the winter I'll get to the control arms and bearings, and new tires in the spring. If I can get into the sunroof and fix the odometer/speedo issue, I should be all set for spring. For the first time, I have an actual lift to use with a full shop full of tools. Not mine, but I have access on the weekends and after work, so I can finally learn a little about how these things work!

Anyway, if anyone's interested, take a look at the pics. It's a great car...and even though the BIN says $4k, I got a better deal than that!

Last edited by czar; 10-17-2006 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typed in web address wrong!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:45 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

nice car. welcome to the list. So, how good of a deal did you get??? Don't know about that wheel cover though. ~nelson.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, nice car those S models are becoming rare.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:22 PM
czar
Instructor

Nelson,

Have to agree on the wheel cover. Leopard print's really not my thing, but I guess the heat in FL warranted it at the time!
Old 10-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Leopard is HUGE this year! Seriously, very nice car and congrats!

Quick Reply: New 944S owner