Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can you guys look at this for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006 | 08:46 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dr.Porsche
The rims look narrow to me..I thought T's had had deep dish PD's
Early offset 1986MY Turbo's had the deep dish phones due to the necessary offset. 87 and later cars will have wheels with less dish.

Originally Posted by bearone
it's had several owners and it depends how it was delivered to the original owner, who maybe had no intention of bringing it stateside.
Nope, that is not a euro car. You could put a US-spec rear bumper and front bumper cover on a euro car, but the dead giveaway is the rear side markers on the quarters. Every converted euro 944 I have seen has a non-factory look in that area. This one is definetly factory. There are some other giveaways to check too, like the VIN and the speedo.

Originally Posted by bearone
i thought lsd was standard after 87.
Nope. 87 and 88 non-TS cars didn't get LSD as standard equipment.

how is 7,750 high? I think thats a steal for an LSD, no sunroof car. It has low milleage, and seems well maintained. Looks a lot nicer then a lot of 951's.
I agree, I don't think that is high at all. Contrary to what someone else said in this discussion, that is not high miles at all on this car. It's 20 years old. That's only around 5Kish miles per year which is well-below average. The car isn't perfect, but given the LSD and Sunroof Delete (I know "sunroof delete" wasn't really an "option" and didn't have a code, so let's not start that argument here again) the price is about right, it *may* be worth even a little more than that if it didn't have those ugmo late offset PD's on it (like some clubsport's or some manhole's). Something to keep in mind here is that on trannies over 100K, the LSD may or may not be fully functional still. And if the clutch hasn't been replaced (pardon me if it is listed in the ad and I missed it), that may be coming up soon at this mileage.

If I were seriously interested in this car, I would have a PPI done. This would give a heads up on the clutch, trans, and all of the other high dollar ticket items that could make a good deal a bad one................
Old 10-17-2006 | 02:57 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Looks lke dean944 is in the area, send him a PM.
Old 10-17-2006 | 05:38 PM
dean944
Racer

Yeh, I have been watching this post hoping someone around the area will step up. Unfortunetly I can't make it due to work and a pre-paid golf tourney on Friday. Im working long days to take Fri off. Fayetteville is about 1.5 hour from my house and 1 hr from work given weekday traffic in and around Atlanta. You just can't get anywhere quickly in this town.

Sorry I can't help but I don't blame your interest in this 944. It looks realy nice.
Why don't you ask the owner to take more pics and provide a phone number to talk to him/her about it. I did this when I purchased mine from a guy in OH. I flew up and drove it back. Get him to open a photobucket account and get all panels in/out and upload photos to site. That's what we did. Free service too.

Price is fair if it has no signs of body damage, air works, and no repairs needed.
Old 10-17-2006 | 05:46 PM
dean944
Racer

I could meet him in Atl downtown around lunch though. I would'd want to meet after work it's dark soon after I leave work. No good for doing a PPI.

See what he says Brinkley.
Old 10-17-2006 | 07:37 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll see what he says
Old 10-17-2006 | 09:16 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice looking car! Love that color combo! The shift **** and boot looks to be from an early car though. Enough receipts to make me think it's on the up and up!

Good luck!! I think an '88 turbo with LSD and no sunroof is easly worth that price, considering all the recent work done on the car!
Old 10-18-2006 | 12:09 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I went and saw the car today. Its nice but there are a few suprises. It turns out it may not have LSD, but were are going to find out. Hood, lights, and header are a different color (metallic, transplanted onto a slate grey car) and the bumper and the header/fenders have a significant gap between them. It may be bad alignment , but i suspect front end damage. Car also has a loud tick, i suppose mostlikely a fuel injector. Phones are pretty scraped up, and the rear spoiler is separating from the hatch. I asked about the clutch, and hes going to email me as soon as he looks through the papers. Its a decent car, but BE WEARY.
Old 10-18-2006 | 07:59 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I told him no last night, it's too far and not worth a plane ticket. Thanks for the info Lorax.
Old 10-18-2006 | 08:11 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great Rennlist cooperation! Jerry could have spent a ton going down to see a car that was in an accident, and repaired poorly!

Next!

Quick Reply: can you guys look at this for me?