Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Coolant Loss

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 02:49 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Coolant Loss

I did use the search function and nothing really came up/ I had all hoses and my headgasket and Waterpump replaced 10K miles ago(Or in May of this year) But I am still expercianing a really slow coolant loss and I can't figure out where its going. the engine is dry and I can't see coolant on the ground. So I am confused on where its going/ I had a dealer do it. And right now its sitting at another dealer with them trying to diagonse the problw.(can't take it to the dealer I had it done at because I am now living in KY and the dealer that did it was in WA) so what do you think is causing this coolant leak? I had the head checked and resufaced and they told me it wasn't wrapped or cracked and the blocked looked good to me when I looked at it?

Brandon
Old 10-13-2006, 03:35 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Smile

the cap may not be holding pressure.

it could be a small enuff leak that evaporates with the heat.

check the nipple on the rad that goes to the expansion tank.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:55 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you pressurized the system to check for leaks? I know you said you haven't seen any on the ground but hot coolant could leak and evaporate. bearone has a pretty good suggestion as well.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Clark W
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brandon, On my '89 S2 I was experiencing a slow coolant leak that was driving me crazy. Had to top off the coolant overflow tank every month or so. Finally discovered I had a slow leak (literally a drip) from the heater control valve. If memory serves its the vacumm activated valve that routes water to the heater HX in the cabin. It sits just behind the distributor, connected to the hardline that runs along the left side of the head. It leaked only when the system was hot (under pressure) and the water dripped down on the headers so it evaporated before it ever hit the ground. Took me forever to find it. Good luck. -c
Old 10-13-2006, 06:54 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you had the oil cooler housing seal replaced before?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:14 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I had a leak at the heater valve, small and the coolant evaporated. I found it by following my olfactories. Nothing like the smell of hot coolant in the morning.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:47 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

One I haven't oil cooler seal housing replaced. That was more common on the 951's then the S2'S and mine shows no signs of oil leaking

brandon
Old 10-14-2006, 05:31 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Hey Brandon, how is it going?

My six month ordeal with a very slow leak finally ended after raising the car while it was hot and pressurizing the system with my Motiv brake bleeder. The temperature sensor was just a little loose. When it leaked the liquid would run down to the radiator "tray" and traverse to the low side. It only left a spot about the size of a quarter when the car was parked sideways on a grade. In my garage with the flat floor the batwing would hold the liquid until it ran out while driving, no spot on the floor.

Good luck,
Lou

Quick Reply: Slow Coolant Loss