Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant system pressure tester info needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:33 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Ya know.............now you got me thinking............

Would an expansion tank cap seal completely with the spring mechanism removed? If so...

What if I took an old cap, drilled a hole in it, JB welded a short aluminum adapter (tube) onto it. Then I could take my Mytee Brake Bleeder, remove the brake reservoir cap from it (use a hose clamp to reattach later,) and clamp the "new" radiator cap onto the hose. The Mytee Brake Bleeder could double as a cooling system pressurizer.

It's simple, cost probably $10 or less, and one less tool to haul to the track.

Think it'd work???
Its been a while since I used it (lost it some time ago and havent made another one) but I remember it sealing pretty decently without the rubber and spring since it has a copper spring washer type thing in the very top. With a schreader valve you just use a tire pump to pressurize it.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:01 AM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
how does that work? every car ive ever worked on had a pressure of 13-15 on the cap. early and late cars all supercede to the same waterpump, same resevoir, same block, head, hoses- besides a few jumper hoses and maybe the heater core they are the same. What causes a difference in pressure- does the antifreeze expand more in a late car?
i had access to a pressure checker when i had the 84944.
at that time i had no water leaks.

i tested the cap to 13psi and it failed so i replaced it with a 13psi cap and had leaks all over.

i put the original cap back on after checking it to 7psi, which it held and had no more leaks.

a little checking showed two separate caps, one about 7psi and the other 13, for the later cars.
i seem to recall the later cars would have one of the fans on for a bit to keep from bursting hoses when shut off.

when i put the 6 bl fans/shroud/radiator in the 84944, after shutting the engine off, the drivers side fan ran, pulling the temp down, running at low speed.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by xsboost90
how does that work? every car ive ever worked on had a pressure of 13-15 on the cap. early and late cars all supercede to the same waterpump, same resevoir, same block, head, hoses- besides a few jumper hoses and maybe the heater core they are the same. What causes a difference in pressure- does the antifreeze expand more in a late car?
it's might be magic or you can check this link at pelican showing two caps, early/late.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item4
Old 10-19-2006, 01:04 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased a Stant pressure tester, got it today and it works great. Of course, now I have a couple questions.

My coolant was totally drained and I want to flush the system before filling with new coolant. I filled the expansion tank with plain water, pumped the tester up to 7psi and bled out the air. The water in the expansion tank went all the way down, so I figured I'd add more water so I wasn't pumping air into the system. I added more water, pumped back up to 7psi, rebled, everything cool so far.

Start the car and let it warm up, the water starts puking out the overflow hose on the expansion tank. So my question is, should the water level be between the min/max marks on the expansion tank when the car is cool or when it's warmed up? Also, should the water level be between the min/max marks on the expansion tank when the system is pressurized or not pressurized?

Should I just let it puke out what it doesn't want and consider it done?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the min line is when cold and the max line when hot. If you fill to the max line when cold I believe it's normal for expansion to push some out when it warms up.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the car is cold/unpressurized. Coolant should be between the min/max mark. Anyother time, may not be a good tell/tale.

If its "puking" coolant, just let it puke out, look at your level after all is cool, keep an eye on your gauges, all will be good. Generally.

You did test your cap at the 1.5 bar limit.........right? 1bar = 14.5 psi. It should fall very, very close to this. AND, you ARE using the 1.5 bar cap?

I test/pressurize my na's at around the 10 psi mark, and up to the 14/15 psi mark (my hoses/lines/heater core are all relatively new . It can and will stress the weak points of the system, but you'll sure find out where the leaks are at if externally visable. My system is a 1 bar system. Read the instructions that come with the stant, and it will describe some of the tests you can and should run.

Quick Reply: Coolant system pressure tester info needed