Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparco seat mounting - Is this safe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 02:07 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sparco seat mounting - Is this safe?

Got a set of Sparco sliders today... Spent some time in the garage today working with various ways of configuring things.

I could bottom mount the seats directly to the sliders. However somewhere I swear I read that for racing purposes that side mounts were mandatory. Can't find any documentation of that anywhere at the moment though.

With that in mind I cobbled together the following setup of side mounts attached to sliders. Given that all the pieces in the setup are FIA certified and I use grade 8 fasteners, is this safe? Are the sliders intended for use with side mounts or only with direct bottom mounting? I hope to run until later this winter when I can do a proper floor mount plate... assuming that I can still squeeze in the car with all the extra vertical lift.

I'm withholding further photos until this task is complete... so help me out!

Old 10-11-2006, 07:49 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks like the setup I have for my Sparco seats. It is the way the guys at OG Racing said to do it.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

there is a tech/how to on paragons site. http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index..._v2&id=92&c=48 that is what we are supposed to do. they say there is an "easter egg" on our floor. the sparco sliders will use the factory holes. the covered hole has a bolt under the tin cover. carefully drill it out and there is a bolt.

i am toying with the idea of getting the sparco bottom mounts for my cobra/konig seats and using the sparco sliders. the other seats are soooooo comfortable, but not certified etc.

go to the racing section. Redlineman posted a link in the Y belt theread i started to schroths site with instructions on how to mount the sub belt.

Last edited by Tom R.; 10-11-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:36 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that link Tom... I've read it before, but with all of the different websites having their own howto sections, I sometimes forget what I've read and where. Sounds like I'm on the right track... need to stop at my local indy hardware store for some more 8mm fasteners at lunch today and I can finish the install tonite.

Went to Home Depot last night and their prices and selection on metric bolts are absolutely ridiculous. 59 cents for a single individually wrapped 8mm bolt, and a further .25 for the matching nut? No way. On top of that HD doesn't even maintain stock on metric stuff, some 3rd party comes in once a week to refill the drawers... they had maybe 2 or 3 of each bolt. What a crock. I can get bags full of nuts and bolts at the indy for like 4 bucks.

Thanks for the tips, things are coming together and I am getting jazzed more every day. Can't wait to get this bad boy back on the road!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

someone at my DE told me to make sure all the hardware is hardened.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:51 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I finally have a picture.

Here is my seat mount. I use standard sparco side mounts with bolts going through the floor backed up with these plates.

The 4 gray plates at the corner are the seat mounts. The two goldish plates are from the Schoth sub belt mounting.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:09 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Perfect Joe, thanks!

Quick Reply: Sparco seat mounting - Is this safe?