Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car runs but there is smoke.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car runs but there is smoke.

So I worked hard today and put the last bits back together after doing my timing belt , seal. and water pump replacement, had to buy a new batter put some gas in it and I went to crank it being really really nervou and it started right up but it kind of idled low and I reved it and it ran fine.

however after like 20 seconds there was smoke which I didn't notice at first.

the smoke is coming from the area behind the distributer housing.

I looked under the car and i saw some oil spots in some areas.

I looked at the timing belt cover and it is dry and I don't see any signs of oil anywhere. however the dstributer is obviously on and I can't see if the oil seal for the camshaft is leaking but this would leak onto the belt.

I also replaced the o ring and the tiny seal on the back of the distributor housing so this might be the cause of the smoke?

I"m pretty sure it's oil as I don't see coolant dripping anywhere. and the only thing that I changed in this area would be the camshaft o ring and rear seal

I can't eally see under it to know if it is leaking .

other thing I though is that I may have accidently gotten oil on that area and it is burning up.

However I thought it would be strange for the engine to be hot enough to burn oil on the outside afteer only 20 seconds of running.

anyone have any ideas? I'll go look again tomorrow, but I'm kind of scared running it with the smoke coming out the side.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:41 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

if there is no oil leaking and I accidently got some oil on the motor how long would it have to run to burn off? if I got any oil it wouldn't be much.

I"m hoping it is not the rear cam housing seals as I replaced those and I thought maybe the little tiny seal in the back leaks.

would it be safe to run the car for like 5-10 minutes with all the smoke to see if it goes away?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After I did the head on my car, it smoked for a good like 15 minutes.

It smoked so badly that my sister ran out screaming that her house was on fire, and the neighbors were gonna call the fire department, oh yah and also that her house was forever going to smell like my car smoke.

That was also the last day I lived at my sisters house.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:23 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

If it was my car, I would take off the top belt cover, and the aluminum housing that the distributor cap attaches to, and have a quick look around. If the timing belt isn't soaked in oil, you should be fine to run the engine for a while as long as you have oil pressure and it isnt overheating, everything should be allright.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:29 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yeah the front covers were left off. and I ddin't see any oil running down the belt cover or on the belt after this.

tomorrow I'll remove the distributer and metal cover to make sure there isn't any oil there but I don't think so.

could this cause a fire? I don't have a fire extinquisher so maybe I shoudl buy one tomorrow before running it.

the coolant isn't fully filled yet as I have to bleed out the air still.

it was dark out when I was running it but I had a 500 watt light shinning so I looked everywhere and looked under my car and saw some oil on the power steering hose and around the oil filter.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:33 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I'm worried that the tiny seal that goes on the rear of the distributer housing may be leaking but I don't se how. I replaced it with a new one and just lubed it with motor oil.

I"m not sure how I'd know if this is leaking or not I can't really see it with the distributer housing installed. and I don't want to take everything apart for no reason.

when I installed the tiny seal on the back I was scared that it would fall out when as I was installing the distributer housing but I'm sure it didn't .

also I had to use a mallet to tap the distributer housing with the O ring and small seal in.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:44 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

also I can't recall but can you remove the camshaft distributer housing without removing the rear cover? because it would be a real pain to remove the cover to just get to the rear distributer seal.

Quick Reply: Car runs but there is smoke.