Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting factory seatbelt to side mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Mounting factory seatbelt to side mounts

I just did a google of the Cobra Imola knock offs I just got (see other thread) and confirmed they can be mounted on the side http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=5 . That is the good news.

I ordered the sparco steel mounts thinking they would bend easier.

Am I thinking correctly: Here goes:

I will first mount the tracks, drilling into the track to match the holes in the floor.

Then I will mount the side brackets to the track.

Then I will insert the seat between the side brackets gently bending the brackets outward or inward if needed.

the last part is the first part of my question. is that a logical way of going about it, or should i be mounting things crosswise on the tracks and mount the side brackets to that, making it a real rube goldberg?

Second, if i drill a hole into the side bracket and mount the seatbelt receptacle to that am I putting myself in grave danger on the street?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:34 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom, after we talked about mountings and sliders yesterday, I went upstairs and took a look at the factory sliders, the sparco steel side brackets, and the belts and tried to figure out the same thing.

I'm going to try to get the car prepped for an Audi Club DE the first weekend in November, and I'd like to run the Sparco seats I have here. We're pretty much looking to do the same thing in the short term... use the factory 3 point belts with aftermarket seats. I have a harness bar, but the6 point belts really need to be attached to secure mounts in the floor, so I'm waiting until the cage goes in to use those.

1) Looking at the steel mounts, I would say you would not be compromising them to drill a hole to mount the factory belt latch. Again keep in mind that although the factory belts are mounted to the seats that the optimal way is actually to attach the belt ends to the car itself.

2) Drilling may not be necessary however. Looking at the factory belt attachment I think it would be possible to mount the latch on the outside of the steel seat mounting frame. Essentially the seat bolt (not the stockbolt ... it's too short and fat for the hole, I picked up new bolts for this anyway.)would go through the belt first, then the seat bracket, and then thread into the seat. The brackets also have probably 6 holes vertically to adjust the seat tilt angle, so it is possible that you could attach it through one of those holes instead, however I don't know how much of a nut you'd be able to squeeze between the bracket and the seat.

3) Unfortunately the sparco side brackets don't line up by default to the factory sliders either. Tried that I have sparco sliders on the way.... hoping those will be a more direct fit.

4) I plan on assmbling the seat, bracket, and sliders out of the car and then just screwing down the sliders, pretty much the same way I have pulled and reinstalled the OEM seats before. I don't know how easy it would be to screw in the bolts on the center tunnel side of each seat once the brackets are installed... not fun.

Anyway, like I said, we're both doing the same project here... so PM me as you make progress. I'm tracking this thread too... good luck!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Good point Eric. tightening the bolts against the tunnel.

i ordered a set of sparco tracks yesterday and just ordered a set of konig "sliders" for 25 a side. the seats were ordered yesterday morning and were delivered today. If the tracks come tomorrow i will have an extra set of sparco sliders.

other than the screws on the tunnel do you think the brackets will bend enough to fit the sliders? i guess i would mount the brackets, then bend them in or out to match the width of the factory sliders/tracks

my 951 came with a set of sparco 5 pt harnesses. i dont want to use them for local runs.

Quick Reply: Mounting factory seatbelt to side mounts