Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare links relay G6 late 944

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 03:28 AM
hderr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare links relay G6 late 944

Hmm... I'm thinking "spare links" as in not needed.

Wrong, so in the process of getting a non-running car running,
read relays not included, installed what I thought would be all the relays needed, and car runs.

So, now I'm fine tunning the electrical system and can't get the the "fog lights" to work
only to discover after several hours of troubleshooting, that the "spare" relay
is needed for the fog lights to work.

Didn't find anything on this in a search,
soooo, what else does this little spare relay control?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you're talking about the "spare" relay, do you mean the little bridge relay? (kind of flat, IIRC?) Going from (very faint) memory . . . . It is a little "bridge" piece, and depending on which terminals it connects, it will make the fog lights go on or off under different circumstances (i.e. off when the high beams are on, can or can't be on with just parking lights, etc.)

As a "temporary" (i.e. not "proper", but works just as well) measure, you can just bridge whatever terminals you need to with a piece of wire with spade connectors -- that's all the little relay-like thing is.

I posted this a couple of years ago -- it is an identification of what each terminal in G6 does -- hope it helps:

Well, if anyone is interested to know, I just mapped out with an voltmeter which terminals in G6 in the relay box (85.5 model) are hot and when.

With the exception of 8, all are with the key turned on as if the car were running. For example, in the instance of "hot with hi-beam only," assume the hi-beams are actually on, not just the lever pushed forward but only the headlight switch only turned to parking lights.

Here goes:

0 - hot with hi + lo beam, not with parking lights
1 -
2 - hot with park + lo beam, not with hi
3 - hot with park + hi beam, not with lo
4 - hot with lo beam only, not with hi or park
5 - hot with hi beam only, not with lo or park
6 -
7 -
8 - hot all the time, regardless of ignition key or light switch
9 -

The terminals not labeled (some of them, at least) are circuits to which the labeled terminals are bridged (or not bridged). Obviously, as evidenced by Brian's "make your fog lights independent of the headlights" modification, some (or maybe all) of 1, 6, 7, and/or 9 complete the circuit to the fog lamp relay. I don't know if any other circuits are affected, or what any of 1,6,7,and 9 actually lead to.

I am about to wire some driving lights, so I will try using either 3 or 5 as the source for the relay, that the on/off switch will be wired to. That looks like the easiest way to make it so they shut off when you go to lo-beams.

There is an auxiliary driving light relay in the panel, but I can't figure what it goes to, as removing/installing it does not affect any of the lights as far as I can tell. Anyone have an idea? Is there an easy, simple ready-to-go provision for wiring driving lights?

Cheers,
Old 10-01-2006, 03:41 AM
hderr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony K
When you're talking about the "spare" relay, do you mean the little bridge relay? (kind of flat, IIRC?) ,
Yep, that's the little buddy I'm looking at, I had no idea it was interfaced to the
high beams.

Originally Posted by Tony K
it will make the fog lights go on or off under different circumstances (i.e. off when the high beams are on, can or can't be on with just parking lights, etc.),
You mention something about bypassing the highbeams?
I'd like to use the fog lights as daytime driving lights without having to turn on the parking lights or low beams.
Is this possible by bypassing the relay?

Quick Reply: Spare links relay G6 late 944