Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood pin install

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:06 AM
upcruiser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood pin install

I have a set of hood pins ordered that I'm picking up tomorrow. Anyone have any experience mounting these? Just looking for any tips you may have found.

My hood is warped a bit and doesn't align properly on the front driverside corner. I'm doing the hoodpins as an easy way to get it down flush. Its been driving me nuts lately, despite it only being a cosmetic issue for the most part.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:36 AM
greenshoes3
Pro

i smell rice...........
Old 09-21-2006, 09:13 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts

Is your hood maybe tweaked (twisted) due to one strut wearing out and/or having been replaced? My 924S has this problem, one strut mounting point was damaged. The 924's (2.0L, non-S cars) also tend to end up with twisted hoods due to only having the one prop rod on one side and spending a lot of time with the hood up!

As for hood pin install. I put my front ones (I have 4 so I can run a fiberglass hood without hinges) into the top of the radiator support - flat metal just behind the hood edge. Then use pieces of hose, cut to length, to get a snug fit and push the hood up against the catches, to stay flush.

One more tip, may be too late: use the style with the captured latch pin, as I am. I think I got them from Pegasus, but I think they're available elsewhere. The pin slides in a, well, a slide, that screws to the surface of the hood. Never lose your hood pins again.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:48 AM
upcruiser
Advanced

Originally Posted by greenshoes3
i smell rice...........

Ha ha, nooooooooooo I swear!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:54 AM
upcruiser
Advanced

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Is your hood maybe tweaked (twisted) due to one strut wearing out and/or having been replaced? My 924S has this problem, one strut mounting point was damaged. The 924's (2.0L, non-S cars) also tend to end up with twisted hoods due to only having the one prop rod on one side and spending a lot of time with the hood up!

As for hood pin install. I put my front ones (I have 4 so I can run a fiberglass hood without hinges) into the top of the radiator support - flat metal just behind the hood edge. Then use pieces of hose, cut to length, to get a snug fit and push the hood up against the catches, to stay flush.

One more tip, may be too late: use the style with the captured latch pin, as I am. I think I got them from Pegasus, but I think they're available elsewhere. The pin slides in a, well, a slide, that screws to the surface of the hood. Never lose your hood pins again.
I'm thinking that the hood is tweaked from the Colgan bra that I used to use on it. This was some time ago, as I picked up the car back in '95 and used a bra on it when I was driving it in the winter in Colorado. That's the only thing I can think of as the hood struts are in good shape and the hood alignment is fine too. Its just this front, left corner that sticks up. At the tech inspection at an auto X two weekends ago the guy asked me if my hood was latched properly it is so noticeable. I'm not all caught up in my cars appearance or anything (you should see the collection of stone chips I've collected) but this hood REALLY bugs me.

I think that I did order the style you described. It was a little hard to tell from the picture just exactly how they worked. If they come in today, I'm going to try to put them in tonight. I'll try to snap some pictures if I can.

Quick Reply: Hood pin install