Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 cup, n/a motor in a 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:12 PM
mjensen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I have invested lots' o time and money in my 951. I have a full cage w/ nascar doors, full ledas, racers edge suspension bearings, bushings, etc. I am interested in many parts for the swap.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:15 PM
mjensen
Racer

P.S.- i will sell my complete 951 motor, ecu, harness, exhaust, etc after next month. Complete rebuild 2006 with paperwork, lindsey head, turbo, powdercoaded cam, oil pan, intake, ceramic coated down pipe, headers, exhaust, etc, etc, etc. I have a total of seven weekends on the engine...
Old 09-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

7" max wheel width is for cars that run to ITS specs - i.e. no coilovers. PCA prepared would mean + 2 inches from stock. However, I don't think anyone is really running more than 8/9's as the widest tire you'll see in the cup paddock is a 245. Joe Hrymack (this years Mid-Atlantic champ and winner at the Nasa "nationals") runs a Rothman's tub with 8/9's, Turbo brakes, chip, and 4.11 rear end. He runs coilovers.

When he's runs his 2.7 liter ('89) engine, he has a base weight of 2900 + 100 "prepared" penalty.

Agreed with Joe - turbo gearbox will eat you up. Gearing is WAY too long for an NA car, and (besides) wouldn't be rules compliant. Almost all the guys up front are running 4.11's, and there are a couple that are running the 4.3xx Audi rear ends.

Also, if you want to run your ABS, you're going to need to determine if there were any pre-89 cars that could be ordered with ABS - otherwise you would have to go to a 2.7. I'm not an NA expert - so someone could easily tell you if that was the case.

FWIW, I too have the same issue - I have a nice tub with set up how I like it, but am not sure about continuing to run Supercup due to expense issues. However, that's the beauty of having a family of "modular" engines. You can bolt them in and out relatively cheaply to run in the class you want.

My suggestion - drive an NA before you get the process started to see if you really want to give turbo power. They're completely different beasts.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:22 PM
mjensen
Racer

Matt, I watched the NASA cup race, qual, etc. I was checking out the options and looking at all of the possible setups. My tub is an 1986 951, no abs, early offset. I currently run 16 x 8 ccw's with 245/45/16's. My car was down on power as had a dyno run of 170rwhp. Had a boost and exhaust leak. My car w/driver and 1/4 tank of fuel weighs 2905. I like the idea of the rothman's car,#808 as this would be similar to my setup. I also was planning on doing a trans swap, short 5th, lsd and 4.11. As on driving a 944 before the season's end will be slim to noe, but with my car down on power I was running against some of the GTS1 944 n/a. I was considering either a S2 transplant or a cup setup, the later is the direction I am leaning towards...
Old 09-19-2006, 09:24 PM
mjensen
Racer

I also forgot to ask what is the main/real differences in setting up for either ITS or PCA. My interior, windows, a/c are removed...
Old 09-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For Cup/Supercup - the only interior pieces that are required are the dash and a rear view mirror. Lexan windshields are allowed. Lexan hatches are not.

ITS has a max wheel size of 16x7, but also allows for chips and some mild engine work without penalty. I think that means that you can bump compression ratio by milling the head. Must use t-bars as coilovers are not permitted. Also, there is a ride height limit of 5" Only stock brakes would be allowed. ITS cars have a slightly higher base weight as they can make more power.

Need to check the ITS rulebook on the SCCA site - or ask Geo as he is an ITS expert.

If you're undecided on cup/supercup - it's probably a better bet to go cup as the SC car counts are lower, and the cars are significantly more expensive to run (which I'm sure you've noticed with your turbo already ;-) Plus, the power/wt issues haven't been addressed in order to address some inequalities between the turbo S cars and the rest of the supercup field. If it wasn't for a lot of rain at the start of the year, I would have been sucking wind. lol

Feel free to PM me - or check out the 44cup.com board for more information - the cup guys are a lot more active over there and will have a lot more cup specific info.

Quick Reply: 944 cup, n/a motor in a 951