Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Leather Dash Vent Solution

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:19 PM
joe@usd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YOU my man... do real nice work!
Old 09-17-2006, 02:39 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are all the dash vent holes the same size? Have you considered individual trim pieces that would just snap into each hole?
Old 09-17-2006, 03:41 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Rob, keep up the excellent work. Like others have said, you're an invaluable resource to the 944 market. But allow my criticism on this dash - I really don't like the air vent trim. But if it's the most funcional way to go about it, I never really look at the air vents anyway, I usually look at the area facing the back of the car.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 273 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
Are all the dash vent holes the same size? Have you considered individual trim pieces that would just snap into each hole?
No they are a few different sizes.
Yes. They would have to be made. Its the cost of the tooling that has to be considered.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Rob, keep up the excellent work. Like others have said, you're an invaluable resource to the 944 market. But allow my criticism on this dash - I really don't like the air vent trim. But if it's the most funcional way to go about it, I never really look at the air vents anyway, I usually look at the area facing the back of the car.
Thanks very much.

I'm fine with the criticism. That's one reason I post the pictures. I have to know what people like or don't like. Taste varies widely.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Champagne
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rob M Budd
No they are a few different sizes.
Yes. They would have to be made. Its the cost of the tooling that has to be considered.
I am setting up to make the trims. I will make them in-house with a few different options available, including leather covered.
I plan to include them in the price of my dash covers, but Rob, you are welcome to get some if you need. Email me and I will give you a good deal.

Paul
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Rob and Paul,

Looks like both of you do awesome work! It would be great if the two of you could source some of the same materials to keep costs down. I'm going to get the dash out after the driving season!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Big E
Racer

Any more difficult or any downsides to doing it in suede rather than leather? I don't know if it's just me or what, but the glare off of my current dash is really annoying, and I don't think it would be much different in leather.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:46 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I looked at it again, and it's kinda growing on me. At first it really stands out, like there's something there that doesn't belong. But after a minute it doesn't stand out as much. I'm certain it would blend in even better on a black dash.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big E
Any more difficult or any downsides to doing it in suede rather than leather? I don't know if it's just me or what, but the glare off of my current dash is really annoying, and I don't think it would be much different in leather.
I've done a couple in Alcantara, an ultrasuede. They came out real nice. I'm going to use it in some areas on my 928. It wears like iron and looks great.

I don't know about real suede. It can be done but I'd be concerned about wear and cleaning. The dash top gets very hot and dirty at times. Constant cleaning may hurt the suede finish.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Big E
Racer

Nice, that was what I was trying to think of but couldn't remember the name.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Champagne
Former Vendor

I have a lot of genuine suede in my car and it wears beautifully. Not as hard to keep clean as one might think either.

I work with Alcantara a lot. You have to be careful to use the real stuff imported from Italy (There is only one US dealer) And even at that, you need to use what is specific for auto upholstery. That is what Porsche, Ferrari and most of the other European auto makers are using. But it's expensive.

The other stuff marketed as "ultrasuede" is not UV protected, not colorfast, does not have a stain repellent, does not have the right backing and in short is not fit to be used in a car.

My seat inserts are made of genuine raw suede, that I treated myself against UV and stain. They have been in the car for a bit more than 18 months and 11K miles and show absolutely no signs of wear.

Paul
Old 09-18-2006, 03:18 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Champagne, how much would you charge to recover a set of sport seats in black leather with red piping or stitching. If you want to take this to PM thats understandable.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Champagne
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Champagne, how much would you charge to recover a set of sport seats in black leather with red piping or stitching. If you want to take this to PM thats understandable.
Hey Sam,

I don't mind at all. Since I'm a sponsor, I can discuss my prices openly.

I have 2 options for you:

GAHH covers between $1300.00 and $1400.00 + shipping
That is for both front seats, in leather, installed. The difference in price depends on the MY.

I am also coming out with my own covers. These will start at $1350.00 installed
I offer a larger selection of hides and colors and I also offer some options not found anywhere else like French seams instead of piping and/or custom engraving on the headrest.

I am working on 2 custom sets right now and will have pictures soon.

You can PM or email me directly if you want to discuss your particular project.

Thanks

Paul
Old 09-18-2006, 10:47 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Click this link for pics of an alacantra, non-airbag dash that Rob did...it's gorgeous

Quick Reply: Another Leather Dash Vent Solution