Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What about a searchable DIY and loaner tool site?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006 | 07:05 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default What about a searchable DIY and loaner tool site?

I recently finished a DIY clutch process on my 944. The thought has struck me, "Would anyone be interested in creating a searchable web site where they could find (1) people willing to assist with DIY projects, and (2) loaner tools?"

Consider that I now more-or-less know how to change a clutch, and I now have some job-specific tools (e.g., clutch alignment tool, 12-point socket wrenches for flywheel and CV bolts). Within a certain geographical region, I would consider helping someone who wished to change their clutch. Also, I would be willing to loan out my tools.

Some other things I have done are as follows: change radiator, change front control arms, change brake rotors and wheel bearings, and others.

I'm envisioning a web site where I could enter a geographical region and a certain service task, and find Rennlist members in the area who have done the job and/or have specific tools. I could then contact that member for advice, help, or loaner tools for the job. If someone in the DC area was looking for help changing a radiator, my name would come up. The searcher could contact me, and I would try to make arrangements to get to the person's house one day to help them with the job. (I would, of course, expect pizza and beer in return )

Unfortunately, I don't see myself creating or managing such a site.

Any thoughts???

Mark
Old 09-14-2006 | 07:34 PM
User 41221
Banned

Thats pretty much what we did in KC, which resulted in the KC Wrenching Society. Check us out at www.kcws.org. Our tool collection (admittedly mostly mine, but others have contributed) will handle ANY 944 related project, short of an internal tranny rebuild.

Between Rennlist and the KCWS, its the best fun I have ever had.

Regards,
Old 09-14-2006 | 07:40 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Its a great idea, perhaps we can get a sticky thread and do it by state.. list your name and what you have experience with plus your general location in state.

Ive helped a handful of guys local to me with mostly belt jobs, i think ive done about 4 of them now for others. I do have all the special tools aswell. Generally i just keep my eyes on the location of the people asking questions, if they are within reasonable distance ill shoot them a PM, or they message me even.

Id love to find some local NYC people who have experience with clutch jobs!
Old 09-14-2006 | 08:12 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

I like this idea...........I know there are many listers here in Northern Cal that have experience with several projects.
Old 09-14-2006 | 08:26 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I've done the clutch twice on a 944 and once on a 968. The 968 design is so superior, if I ever got another 944, and if it ever needed a new clutch, I would find and buy the 968 driveline parts and put those in.

It works well enough to just get in touch with local rennlisters through this site and meet their friends as well. I met all my local 944 buddies through RL and one of my 968 buddies through a 944 buddy. But a site dedicated to that would be cool. Sticky sounds good.
Old 09-14-2006 | 09:58 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

I'm in... Central NY anybody?
Old 09-14-2006 | 10:18 PM
MM951
Race Director

I'm in the hudson valley ... I've done just about everything but rebuilding a trans....on 944s and a variety of other cars with the help the rennlist and common sense. I'll be happy to help anyone.

Have tools and a machine shop as my disposal
Old 09-14-2006 | 10:18 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

The challenge with such a site, or even a sticky thread - is critical mass. With one or two contact per area - it might not fly.

But I'll make my contribution to my locale...

Toronto ON
Garage, Compressor, air tools
No special P-car tools (yet)
Old 09-15-2006 | 12:16 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Given my past luck on loaning tools, I've finally had to take the stance that I seldom loan out my tools anymore...they tend not to come back or you have to beg for them or they're misused and damaged. Maybe it would work if you had a deposit equal to the cost of the tool, plus shipping expenses, plus a little something for wear and tear? Essentially a rental service with a small nuisance fee for boxing and shipping, etc. My wife and my tools are things I don't loan out (Maybe I should give this more thought?). For example, if you loan out your P9201 belt tension tool and it comes back broken with only an apology, you're out some considerable money. However, if it's someone local that I can go visit and help out with the repair and pick up my tool when I need it, that's different. It's probably just a situation where one or two apples can mess it up for the others. Maybe it's just some of the people I've dealt with but even some of my closest friends have really bad memories when it comes to returning borrowed tools. Congress should commission a study of the phenomenon.

H2
Old 09-15-2006 | 12:47 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

I think my idea was more - "I have stuff, come on over and we'll fix your car together" - as much a social network as a "loan-a-tool" program.

I frankly wouln't want to borrow your P9201 - I'd rather hang out and check the belts together.

RK
Old 09-15-2006 | 01:43 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
I think my idea was more - "I have stuff, come on over and we'll fix your car together" - as much a social network as a "loan-a-tool" program.

I frankly wouln't want to borrow your P9201 - I'd rather hang out and check the belts together.

RK
Agreed...and that's a great idea. And would be fun.

Harvey
Old 09-15-2006 | 02:27 PM
chapstic951
Pro

You might want to try Dorkiphus. It is a MD/DC/VA Porsche forum with a "need a loaner" and "have a loner" area. I am not familar with where you are in MD, but it is worth a look.

Steve

Quick Reply: What about a searchable DIY and loaner tool site?