Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resealing front of my engine...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 08:04 PM
lug nut
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resealing front of my engine...need advice

I am going to reseal the front of an early 85 motor with about 150K miles on it. I have been looking at the "kits" that pargon, 944 online, and pelican have for sale. They all seem to have a different number of seals in them, and some also come with the sleeves. Do I need to replace the sleeves? I don't think that my camshaft seals are leaking, but should I replace them anyway? If any one has experience with these kits, which one should I get? Of course I want to save money, but I also want to do this job right the first time. If you don't think that the kits are the right thing to use let me know what you have done in the past.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got a pelican $100+ kit. For whatever reason it does not have the crankshaft seal and oil pump sleeve, and I didnt realize it until I had the car apart and was doing the job. The sleeves get grooves worn into them from the seal riding on them and if they are worn too badly, then even a new seal sitting in that groove will leak. It is nice to have the sleeves and replace them right away because all of mine did have wear on them. If you are not sure about the extra $ for the kit that includes the sleeves, then you should take the car apart before you order the kit so you can look to see how bad the sleeves are first. Doing the job right the first time means getting the kit with the sleeves. BTW when you are pulling out the crankshaft seal, twist a drywall screw a little ways into the metal part of the old seal and pull the seal out with a pair of pliers on the screw. Worked great for me, I didnt even drill a pilot hole for the screw.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

The oil pump sleeve is the most critical. Definitely replace it at 150K...it'll have grooves and I will guarantee it'll leak even with a new seal! Ask me how I know!!

-Steve
Old 09-13-2006, 01:54 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get the $83 kit from Zims and add the oil pump sleeve...everything you need.

Quick Reply: Resealing front of my engine...need advice