Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading the 944 for a Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:41 AM
Trucho-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, let's see, if you trade in your 944 for $3,000 credit and get the '88 Vette for $7,000, then you'll be $4,000 cash out of pocket. Now remember, it's an old vette almost 20 yrs old. So what kind of shape do you expect important and expensive items like the engine bearings, piston rings, cyl. walls. to be in? Also, it's an automatic transmission, most chevy auto transmissions are lucky to see 100,000 miles at best. Will it need a new transmission? Well, you'll find out after a few auto-x's. Replacing all the universal joints and suspension bushings can also be big chore. Now if it's got a good paint job and stereo, it might make a good boulevard cruiser. Just food for thought...
Old 09-06-2006, 01:55 AM
zoxx2004
Instructor

i agree keep the Porsche!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:28 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should keep the porsche. Or hold out for a much better vette. I could buy a mid 90's model all day long on a steal for 7k and this guy wants 7k for a 88! Maybe the market is different because of where I live but, that sounds like a kick up the *** to me.

Just because you have the ability to buy something(anything) dosn't mean you should do it man. The vette is a fun car but, its not on the level you're porsche is(atleast not that year in my mind) now if you were talking a much later c4 than that one yes i'd say thats something to consider.

Now the market is soo strong on those that I wouldn't buy any vette unless it was a c5 model. I could buy those all day long for about the price of a really clean turbo S porsche 944 ...and quite frankly the c5 is alot more car.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:20 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I've driven a couple 80s C4 Corvettes. Wasn't impressed. Keep the Porsche!

_________-
Pat
86 944
95 Audi 90 CS
Old 09-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

your money. Ask for an extended test drive and tell them that you're REALLY on the fence on this one.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Crunky
Pro

Haha, thanks for the advice guys. I went this morning to test drive it, and took a better look at the car.
Its in worse shape than I thought, guess I was just over-excited at the thought of it for some unknown reason. I am definately not trading in the 944, nor am I geting the Vette.
Reason 1: Head room is a huge issue here, every bump I hit in the road my head smacks the 'vert top at the top of the drivers window, and I only have a 1/2" of room between the top of my head and the 'vert top.
Reason 2: noticed alot more trim pieces that are missing or broken on the exterior and interior.
Reason 3: Not all power options functioning properly.
Reason 4: Runs rough, especially at idle, backfires a tad when letting off the throttle, and has an oil leak right ontop of one exhaust manifold.

But I did look at some other cars he had on the lot. It came down to a '96 Dodge Avenger, and a '93 Miata.
I didn't drive the Avenger, I only sat in it, seemed plenty comfy and roomy, but then I tesdt drove the Miata, I was instantly hooked.
Had plenty head room, the way the pedals are arranged is quite comfy too. It may not have a alot of *****, but man its very nimble. Handles atleast as good as a stock 944, if not better, but the brakes aren't as powerful as the 944, but still has some stoping power.
Well rounded car for the 3 main characteristics I'm looking for, and its cheap to maintain and light on the wallet. I think it will make an excelent beater.
Oh and its white with a black top, 5 speed standard, almost no power options, if anyone is wondering.
I think I'm going for this one
Old 09-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you can go wrong with a well cared for Miata. They are fun to drive and while not rockets are reasonably quick (like 944 NA's). I have a 90 Miata and my only major complaint is the lack of body stiffness compared to the 944. Maybe it's not fair to compare a convertible with the solid 944 structure but the fact remians that over bumpy roads, the Miata will twist and rattle with obvious cowl shake (and my car has no rust). So you may want to find a bumpy road to do a test drive on. Maybe they improved the stiffness by 93.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Crunky
Pro

Well, one of the first roads i took it down was quite bumpy, both the 'Vette and the Miata were pretty bouncy and shakey on it. I figured the Vette becasue it has a pretty stiff suspension, and I thought that the Miata was so light that it got bounced all over, though I didn't notice any wierd squeaks or other noises, so I guess thats good. And for some stupid reason, I didn't pay attention to mileage, or options, posted on the fact sheet on the window. But the dealer is asking $5400 for a 93, it does have a few fair sized paint chips missing too. All around the driver's rear quarter area, I mean the chips are atleast the size of a quarter, s this price seems high to me. but still, I really liked driving it . Its atleast as fun as my N/A, and I can afford to beat it up on a daily basis.

Quick Reply: Trading the 944 for a Vette?