Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love my PO

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FRporscheman, you have a beautiful car. I am jealous. lol.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:18 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

The PO of my daily ride - the 87 sunroofless 944 - is a member here and he now has a 951 (lucky bastard), great guy. When I went to pick up the car, it was like 160 degrees outside at about 1:00 PM - he let me chill out at his house until it cooled off a bit before I headed back home. I honestly thought I would burst into flames while I was loading the car........

Cool thing about the car is nothing has been hacked. Both he and the previous PO's took care of the car, so when I go to work on it - everything is there and properly installed - it's like a breath of fresh air. Normally, I am working to restore mistreated/neglected 944's, but this one has always been taken care of and really shows it.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my 914-6 track car I was in contact with my PO daily and I am still probably on a weekly basis. I have owned the car probably a year now and it has been a joy talking with him and learning the in's and out's .
Old 09-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I wish I still stayed in touch with the girl who bought my Land Rover. She was HOT.

Idiot! That was FOR SURE at least a couple of dates and if you gave her a deal even more!
Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default For my money

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
Interesting that you mention the difference between 928 and 924 owners. I fully agree I found that the 928 forum is much more technical and the owners in general are much more involved in their cars than here on this forum.
If you ask a technical question in the 928 forum you immediately get many returns from guys who really know what they talk about.
Here you might get a few guesses and often even no reply.

The guys here seem to be more social.
As mostly a lurker and a relative newbie, for my technical needs and from what I have found, the 924/944/968 email digest folks to be more helpful from a technical standpoint. This area is far more social and entertaining.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:10 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have'nt heard squat from my PO and based on the condition of the car, lucky for him.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:45 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike1982
Idiot! That was FOR SURE at least a couple of dates and if you gave her a deal even more!
She was from Texas, the 30min we were together just wasnt enough to seal the deal and have her move to Indy...
Old 09-05-2006, 04:58 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Where in Tx?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:12 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Houston
Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

I grew up with my car's PO. He's an ok guy but to say he neglected the car is a huge understatement and what he did do was typically a botched job. He has asked about it a couple of times and is amazed that it's in better shape now than when he bought it in 1998.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:18 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

My PO was a good guy. He emails me every other month asking about how the car is. When i bought the car from him, it took about an hour to finally get the keys from him. he didn't want to let the car go, but his wife was forcing the sale. their were a lot of easy fixes on the car, it seemed like he took the easy way out on things, but in actuality, every time he needed something done, he took it somewhere, and the shops actually screwed him. The guy went through 1 complete motor and 2 heads, now 16V heads aren't easy to come by, nor are they cheap. But he never gave up. most people would have quit at the engine. he was in it all the way.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:48 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm lucky and have continued good comunication with the PO since I've had my car. Of course I've only had the car for barely over a month, and I bought it on ebay so we were already emailing at lot because of that, but the PO is still really helpful and whatnot with any questions I have.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:53 AM
NeoRules
Burning Brakes

My PO flat out lied....LOL... I drove out of state to pick up an "inspected" car and have found bad ball joints, wheel bearings (rear being worst, tire would wobble when lifted off the ground, LOUD CLUNKING), wrong plugs, wrong dist. cap, no little screw on thingys on the plugs (just the threaded stud), ohh yeah the rotor was glued to the shaft and had to be peeled off piece by piece..

The car still won't run cold and you can feel the engine isn't running smooth warm and under power until you hit about 4K rpm (thats when she smooths out and feels like all cylinders hit, but as soon as the rpm levels off it feels rough again).

Blows black smoke most of the time and still has rat nest stuff blowing out the defogger vents. He also state the body was in great shape (except her forgot to mention all the rust behind the stone guards and the sunroof wasn't attached in the back and needs to be bungied down to drive it.)

He stated "Great condition" "garage kept" and "wouldn't hesitate to take on a long trip". I figure he meant to the junk yard and the trip was one way.... LOL....
Old 09-06-2006, 05:19 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NeoRules
My PO flat out lied....LOL... I drove out of state to pick up an "inspected" car and have found bad ball joints, wheel bearings (rear being worst, tire would wobble when lifted off the ground, LOUD CLUNKING), wrong plugs, wrong dist. cap, no little screw on thingys on the plugs (just the threaded stud), ohh yeah the rotor was glued to the shaft and had to be peeled off piece by piece..

The car still won't run cold and you can feel the engine isn't running smooth warm and under power until you hit about 4K rpm (thats when she smooths out and feels like all cylinders hit, but as soon as the rpm levels off it feels rough again).

Blows black smoke most of the time and still has rat nest stuff blowing out the defogger vents. He also state the body was in great shape (except her forgot to mention all the rust behind the stone guards and the sunroof wasn't attached in the back and needs to be bungied down to drive it.)

He stated "Great condition" "garage kept" and "wouldn't hesitate to take on a long trip". I figure he meant to the junk yard and the trip was one way.... LOL....
Did you not get it inspected yourself before you bought it? I hope you didn't pay to much...

At least you now can say you have a p-car. Just don't show it off by driving it. lol
Old 09-06-2006, 11:36 PM
NeoRules
Burning Brakes

No I didn't pay much $3050.00 and about 275 in gas to go get it
I bought it on ebay and assumed like my other purchases it would be slightly below what I expected. I drove 9 hours to Monroe NY from Fredericksburg VA. I called the guy and talked with him several times before the purchase. I got there and got stupid tired and didn't want to ruin my ebay credentials..... So I am replacing the bearings, taking whatever I need from my parts car to make it run smooth and then painting it a bronze or copper color. Then back on ebay for (hopefully) almost what I paid for it....
I guess I needed a lesson. He served me one...

I expect close to a $1k loss on the deal....

I had it on ebay until I discovered that both the front and rear bearings were shot. Just couldn't sell it knowing how bad it was and knowing that whomever got it would be dissapointed like I was. So I pulled it off ebay before anyone bid on it and I am going to at least fix it and paint it (maybe a dash cover) and then sell it. I need the money (back) to buy a decent fixer upper from togglehead or somebody....
One of my drawbacks is honesty and I can't honestly sell it for what I paid for it in the condition it is in... unless I am really wrong about porsche values LOL...
On the bright side it does have a limited slip diff.... could probably sell that for $1000 or so...

Quick Reply: I love my PO