Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping Recommendations - 951S Motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 01:57 AM
tod84944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have shipped out 8 engines. I always go to
www.freightquote.com
You can register for free, and the prices are better than you could ever get just calling around your self
Old 09-04-2006, 02:02 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tod84944
I have shipped out 8 engines. I always go to
www.freightquote.com
You can register for free, and the prices are better than you could ever get just calling around your self
Thanks Todd!! Exactly what I needed from fellow Rennlisters!
Old 09-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

bump
Old 09-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Ensure that any shipping company that you contract with, also is including the brokerage fees and customs handling when crossing the border. Often, they do not include those costs in their quotes.

I imported some car parts from Canada and the shipments were stopped at the border, because the shipping company did not include or arrange for the border crossing documentation. I had to hire a separate brokerage firm to handle the NAFTA paperwork while the shipments sat in a customs warehouse in Toronto, waiting to cross the border. Cost an extra $100 per item, in addition to the freight and importation tax.

Make sure to find out everything you need to know/do, and make all arrangements in advance.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:18 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Ensure that any shipping company that you contract with, also is including the brokerage fees and customs handling when crossing the border. Often, they do not include those costs in their quotes.

I imported some car parts from Canada and the shipments were stopped at the border, because the shipping company did not include or arrange for the border crossing documentation. I had to hire a separate brokerage firm to handle the NAFTA paperwork while the shipments sat in a customs warehouse in Toronto, waiting to cross the border. Cost an extra $100 per item, in addition to the freight and importation tax.

Make sure to find out everything you need to know/do, and make all arrangements in advance.
I dont think you have to worry about that as long as you say its going down for machine work not available locally, and itll be returning to Canada.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge
I dont think you have to worry about that as long as you say its going down for machine work not available locally, and itll be returning to Canada.
That will get you out of paying tax on it, but the paperwork/admin/brokerage is still required.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ship it to me and I'll keep it warm for you.

Hi Randy!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Skip
Ship it to me and I'll keep it warm for you.

Hi Randy!
DOWN SKIPPY!!! DOWN!!! hope all is well Skip - this motor was too good to pass up. If I knew the wreck was available I would have bought it! I need that grey interior for my 968Cab! I was able to buy NOS carpet from Porsche - except for the DS footwell, which is trashed by careless PO's. Amazing what people do to their cars!
Old 09-05-2006, 10:16 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

That will get you out of paying tax on it, but the paperwork/admin/brokerage is still required.
If he lugs it across himself, theres nothing. Im going to talk to Mailboxes International and see if they can handle an engine block. I can lift shortblock myself given handholds. Not sure with the head on it, but ive done it with crank and pistons and oilpan. FedEX will probably **** a brick, so I dont know what my options are there.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge
If he lugs it across himself, theres nothing.
Apparently Im ignorant. I thought Randy asked about shipping from Atlanta to Vancouver.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:48 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Apparently Im ignorant. I thought Randy asked about shipping from Atlanta to Vancouver.
Hes in Vancouver as am I. Ive done it numerous times, brought stuff across the border myself and shipped it from Mailboxes International in Blaine, WA. Stuff I order gets shipped there and I pick it up. Saves a TON on shipping.

Might be too hard to do with an engine block though, but works for cylinder heads etc.

Quick Reply: Shipping Recommendations - 951S Motor