Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:32 PM
superman90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post o2 sensor

Hello everyone.

I'm in need of an o2 sensor, but not sure of which one to get. I'm shooting for the universal type but can't figure out which one i need. They come in 1,2,3 and 4 wire options. Which one will fit a 1990 944s2?

Thanks,

Evan
Old 08-29-2006, 02:39 PM
lug nut
Advanced

I believe that it is the three wire version, unless it is the california model. It is simple to check. Just crawl under your car, find the oxygen sensor and count the wires going into it.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:47 PM
TheStock
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't suggest a universal. Had problems with both my vehicles because of them and as soon as I switched to OEM in both cases, problem solved.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:44 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using a $17 Bosch on my car from Autozone and haven't had issues with it yet. Unless it's changed from my 84, the O2 sensor is under the passenger's feet. IT's easy to spot, just look and count the wires.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:29 PM
taworden
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RMills944
I've been using a $17 Bosch on my car from Autozone and haven't had issues with it yet. Unless it's changed from my 84, the O2 sensor is under the passenger's feet. IT's easy to spot, just look and count the wires.
Which one from Autozone are you using on your 84?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:16 PM
dnwong
Pro

I looked at autozone online and found an o2 sensor for $17.00 for the 84. Is that a 1 wire or 3 wire sensor? But that one is not listed for an 86 951. So, I assume it probably will not work right.

But you can get a BECK_ARNLEY
Universal - 3 wire for $74.00 (3 wire) with splice kit.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:18 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

cheap *** people should get a honda...not a porsche. go ahead, play theggame, buy a universal...if you get the wrong resistance one, guess what, you will need a new ecm and those are not cheap and you cant get a universal one. save the 60...you will need it
Old 08-30-2006, 09:47 PM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

It works fine, the sensor head is probably the same, the connector is different. Look up part number 13953. It is originally for a Ford Taurus, don't let that sway you though. Output voltages are the same. Just splice into your original harness and be sure not to use any solder on the connection. Use crimps. Good luck! Workes great on both of my 944s. 39 bucks at autozone.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

errrh...not quite true. go ahead, tempt fate. Bosch does not warantty theinstall not to damage the ecm...there is a reason for it.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:10 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the universal sensor in my mom's 944 and my previous 944. They both pass smog, idle smooth, and run fine. My mom's 944 has had it in for a few months, and my previous 944 had it installed over a year ago (I just sold it 3 days ago and it was running great).

Cheap people don't need to buy Hondas, anyone can buy a Porsche 944 if they're smartly cheap.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:18 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Originally Posted by nickg
cheap *** people should get a honda...not a porsche. go ahead, play theggame, buy a universal...if you get the wrong resistance one, guess what, you will need a new ecm and those are not cheap and you cant get a universal one. save the 60...you will need it
I so TOTALLY agree.

Man, why own a high performance sports car and then penny pinch on parts,,,

ok, some parts are WAYYY too expensive, but at the end of the day it does pay to get OEM bits, never done me wrong in the past...

to answer the original question, goto Porsche, given them your car details, they will usually have the O2 sensor in stock.. period
Old 08-31-2006, 11:15 AM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

its called penny smart and pound foolish. Very emblematic of the 944/924 becoming like the 914 was and is..owned buy cheap *** people who would rig it up or use universal parts rather than fix it right because they are too ignorant to see that parts for Porsche 944/924 are generally VERY cheap parts to begin with. I sold these bosch universal o2 sensers for a while...hook it up wrong or get the WRONG impedience one and goodbye ecu. The books are not very good with the universal listings and honestly the universal o2 senser is a pos anyway...it works on MILLIVOLTS..that means if you don't have a perfect connection...or the right connection, it does not work right. It is sad that a person who bought an S2 is this way, does he use the Wolf's head brand motor oil? it is just as good right? and you save because it is recycled oil. prolly not. then why say 75 on a part that has a service life of 100+ k miles? false economy, do you know that a coverter is like $1200 for an s2? and you cannot buy any aftermarket one either...dealer only, sure, you you don't..go ahead save the pennies on that part...save toward the converter because if the senser is off just a little the cat is not gonna last. But then a smart shopper like you can just get a universal one of them too right?
For sale 1990 porsche 944s2, universal model. Special cheap *** version for your consideration, sports universal parts wherever possible, doesn't run well, but you can fix it with any brand part no problem.

the real sad thing is people like you would rag on others because the emblem is faded or the timing chain wasn't changed at 95k when you yourselves are using off market and universla parts to fix your perfect cars...
you should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:18 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
I so TOTALLY agree.

Man, why own a high performance sports car and then penny pinch on parts,,,

ok, some parts are WAYYY too expensive, but at the end of the day it does pay to get OEM bits, never done me wrong in the past...

to answer the original question, goto Porsche, given them your car details, they will usually have the O2 sensor in stock.. period

Why waste money you don't need to?

The universal O2 sensor is IDENTICAL to the "OEM" one, it just doesn't have the connector plug. Snip the old O2 sensor off, splice the new one on, and you're good to go. If you want to waste $100 to get the "Porsche OEM" BOSCH sensor that is internally identical to the "universal" sensor, be my guest. But for people that don't like flushing money down the toilet, there's nothing wrong with the universal one.

ts called penny smart and pound foolish. Very emblematic of the 944/924 becoming like the 914 was and is..owned buy cheap *** people who would rig it up or use universal parts rather than fix it right because they are too ignorant to see that parts for Porsche 944/924 are generally VERY cheap parts to begin with. I sold these bosch universal o2 sensers for a while...hook it up wrong or get the WRONG impedience one and goodbye ecu. The books are not very good with the universal listings and honestly the universal o2 senser is a pos anyway...it works on MILLIVOLTS..that means if you don't have a perfect connection...or the right connection, it does not work right. It is sad that a person who bought an S2 is this way, does he use the Wolf's head brand motor oil? it is just as good right? and you save because it is recycled oil. prolly not. then why say 75 on a part that has a service life of 100+ k miles? false economy, do you know that a coverter is like $1200 for an s2? and you cannot buy any aftermarket one either...dealer only, sure, you you don't..go ahead save the pennies on that part...save toward the converter because if the senser is off just a little the cat is not gonna last. But then a smart shopper like you can just get a universal one of them too right?
For sale 1990 porsche 944s2, universal model. Special cheap *** version for your consideration, sports universal parts wherever possible, doesn't run well, but you can fix it with any brand part no problem.

the real sad thing is people like you would rag on others because the emblem is faded or the timing chain wasn't changed at 95k when you yourselves are using off market and universla parts to fix your perfect cars...
you should be ashamed of yourself.
In summary: You don't know what you're talking about. If you can't figure out how to splice wires, then yeah, spend the extra $100 and get the "OEM" O2. It's soooooooo much fancier. I heard the inside it coated with special "Porsche" dust, and the electronics are all special "Porsche"-made.

Evan, ignore these assclowns. Paragon has what you need:
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...osch_13913.htm
Old 08-31-2006, 11:23 AM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

your an idiot if you think they are the same...read the bosch number on each one..differnt, you know nothing about this stuff. I sold these for a long time when you were still in diapers in clifton whining about your 914
when the bosch numbers are the same then they are the same part...but they aren't.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:24 AM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

btw list price is 68 at the dealer...

Quick Reply: o2 sensor