Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power -> Manual Steering Rack swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:34 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power -> Manual Steering Rack swap questions

Alrighty, I'm just about to pick up an 83 parts car (motor snapped the t-belt) that I'll be using for some random parts for my 87 spec buildout.

Primarily I want to use the manual rack to replace my power steering rack. I have done a bit of reading here on the list about what I would have to do, but I have a couple questions about the process first.

1) Obviously I know I will need a different tie rod to make up the difference between the early and late offset wheels. I've read a couple comments about making them, but if they were available I'd rather pick up a set of ready-to-go tie rods... anyone have a source for late offset manual steering tie rods?

2) From what I've seen, the other thing that would need to change would be the connecting rod between the steering wheel shaft and the steering rack. If I had the original part off the 83, would that work on the 87? Or are there other differences that like the tie rods force you to use a specific custom part?

Jim (shiners780), I know you'll have some insight for me... anyone else?

Muchas gracias!
Old 08-27-2006, 01:47 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.) try dealerships for the late offset manual rods, or try your luck with any of the pcar online parts places and see what they have in stock. many were out when i tried to order parts, some only had kits of the complete swap available.

2.) the intermediate shaft for the manual is longer than the power intermediat shaft, the 83 should work on any car.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:51 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you have two options on 87.

take the rack/inter shaft from the 83 and find the longer manual late offset tie-rods.
Try Paragon

Option 2
swap the rack/inter shaft and 83 front spindels control arms and struts. Advantage is to replace the 83 control arms is about $25 each plus 11 for the ball joints. Problem is you would have early offset on the front of the car and late offset on the rear. Issue here is you would need different wheels front vs rear.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:57 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Hmmmmm.

Well the parts car actually has a new front end, so option 2 is feasible... but I have two sets of late offset rims, and would only have 1 of earlies... Are the suspension components different for the early control arms, ie, different mounting for the bottom of the shocks?

Ideally though I am looking to do option 1 - delete all pwr steering nonsense, and just bolt up a manual rack. Sounds like the tie rods are the missing link pretty much. Gotta find me a set of those. Already have an order in at Paragon for cam housing bolts and seals, so I'll have to call tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Is there an actual factory part # for the late manual tie rods? Or is it an aftermarket type thing?
Old 08-27-2006, 02:02 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

944 347 033 03 i believe is the part number for the late offset manual rods
Old 08-27-2006, 04:16 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend the $800 on a brand new manual steering conversion kit from 944online.com. One phone call tomorrow and it will be on your doorstep by mid-week. All brand spankin' new, clean and tight.

I'm all about simplicity. With the amount of time and energy you will have to spend making phone calls tracking down tie rods, cleaning the used components, then finding out after it's all installed that there's play in the steering system.....forgetaboutit!!!!

Do it once, do it right, and enjoy your ride. Just my $.03 (cost differential for typing on a Sunday.)

de nada!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:51 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I ended up doing exactly what Jim suggested, and purchased the whole late-offset kit from 944Online. It really is complete in every regard.

Originally I had thought about picking up a manual rack and finding new tie-rods. However, it seems to have become quite difficult to find the new late-offset manual tie rods seperately. After thinking it over, I decided a new kit was the choice for me. If you do pick up that parts car, you may find it easier to sell its manual rack to someone else... Either way, I would suggest phoning around to find if you can acutally get the tie rods, and then move from there.

Last edited by 500; 08-27-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:22 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Man now I don't know what to do. I've got a line on a cheap parts car, an 83 with a broken timing belt for only 500 bucks. I figure for $500 I can rebuild the motor, use the hatch glass to replace my separated glass, (hopefully) use the manual rack, use the charcoal canister in place of mine that I broke, and then sell the rest of the early parts including full black interior, wheels, and more.

I figured I would come out pretty decent, even be able to pay for the late tie rods. But if I didn't do this, I would be out 800 for the manual conversion + whatever I could find the hatch glass for, plus driving to pick them up. Either way I also have a pretty new rebuilt power steering rack to sell as well.

Dannnnngit... what to do what to do. Frankly I would be better off NOT having a parts car in my driveway too... dangit guys, why do you always have to cost me money?
Old 08-27-2006, 08:45 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mi$ery love$ company.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:14 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Change the bushings that are used to mount the rack to the subframe while you are in there. Its also a good time to swap motor mounts while the rack is out since access is easier. Maybe you should consider changing all the swaybar bushing that have been soaking in PS fluid (ATF) and getting soft too.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:43 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tips... Sway bushings are new and will be replaced by full paragon 944 spec suspension kit. Motor mounts are both new.

Heck pretty much everything is the dang car is new except the block, the starter, the gas tank, and the chassis and body proper.

Almost time to go racin'!
Old 08-28-2006, 01:39 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

a little OT, but is www.schwanks.com/944 down?

I get:
"Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed."
Old 08-28-2006, 01:49 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I've heard of people converting PS racks to manual by opening up the rack and removing all the seals and o-rings not necessary for rack operation and motion. The advantage here is you won't have to change your steering shaft or the tie rods, and it won't cost you any money. The disadvantage is that the PS rack's steering ratio is smaller than the manual rack's, so when it's operated in manual mode, it is a little harder to steer than with a manual rack. But then again a smaller ratio is much better for racing because you can turn the wheels further with less steering wheel motion.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:56 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Fixed it genikz... swapped out my server for a more powerful one recently and I must have forgotten to reset the default page.

In fact I have a bunch of new pics that I need to upload... been pretty busy lately, and once my new Arnnworx tools get here I should be able to get things all put back together. I'm just giddy thinking about it!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:55 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If you look in the DIY section there is a decent write up on this.

Quick Reply: Power -> Manual Steering Rack swap questions