Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you using a ProMAX Chip for your 944/968?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:08 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you using a ProMAX Chip for your 944/968?

Hi All,

Are you using a ProMAX Chip for your 968 (or 944 model)? We are looking for feedback from owners! Now that the range of ProMAX Performance Chips for 968 have been available for almost 2 years for both USA and ROW cars, we would like to hear your thoughts. Please post your comments here along with any suggestions for improvements we could make. Thanks!

If you are still running standard software or have a chip solution that may not have delivered for your car - let me remind you that the ProMAX Chip for 968 models is still available at the incredibly special price of just $145.00 USD! (to USA/Can and all orders paying in US Dollars). To order, just follow the link: ProMAX Motorsport 968 Chip Offer

The ProMAX Performance for 968 is available in 4 versions:
7100A - for USA with 7100rpm limit +15bhp (average)
7700AT - track orientated version with 7700rpm limit and +17bhp (average)
7100R - for ROW with 7100rpm limit +15bhp (average)
7700RT - track orientated version with 7700rpm limit and +17bhp (average)
NOTE: power gains will vary from car to car. Above figures represent an average improvement in peak horsepower. Tested by Nine magazine in 09/04 and 07/05. You can see testimonials here .Other benefits:

* Better throttle response
* Much smoother drive - you will feel the difference
* Increased torque spread
* Higher rev limit
* Easy DIY fitment
* Full and clear fitting instructions provided
* Fits in less than 40 mins
* 14 day money back warranty

Power gains may be higher or lower depending on engine condition and fuel grade. 93MON/RON recommended. 91MON/RON OK. 97RON Europe.
The price is $145.00 USD and includes worldwide shipping. Delivery is 3-5 days from order.

NOTE: if you want to order a chip for
944 8v (24pin), 924S 8v (24pin), 944 8v (28pin), 924S 8v (28pin), 944S, 944S2 - the same offer can apply. Just send a PayPal to andrew@promaxmotorsport.com. For 944 Turbo, please get in touch (numerous solutions available from mild to wild!)

Any other queries, please send an email to andrew@promaxmotorsport.com

Regards,
Andrew
ProMAX Motorsport
Old 08-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Dasota
Advanced

Today, I received my ProMAX performance chip in the mail. I have a 1988 944S, euro spec. I'd like to start off by saying that delivery was extremely fast. I ordered this chip two Fridays ago, and it left last Monday. This chip basically went from the UK, to New York, and over to Germany since I'm on an Army base. 8 days and it was here. Every question I had, which I e-mailed directly to Andrew, was answered promptly within a matter of hours, sometimes immediately. Customer service was excellent.

Installing the chip was simple. Just a matter of pulling the ECU out, popping it open, and swapping chips. The only thing I'd like to note here, is that in the instructions, where it's telling you out to pull the top board of the ECU out, it has a note that S2's have an additional clip on the front side for the ECU harness that holds that top board in place. It's the same for the 944S as well.

After installing it, I hooked it back up to the harness and started the car. Immediately I noticed that the idle was about 100rpm's higher and much smoother. With the stock chip in there, the idle would fluxuate a little bit. Merely pulling out of the parking lot, I felt the power band was a bit lower as well. There was definately more torque in the lower RPM's. I have 10" wide wheels in the rear, with Dunlop SP 9000's (275/35) on them. Before, just starting out in first I was only able to get the tires to chirp for a second or so. With the ProMAX chip in there, I had 21 inches of rubber spinning freely in the rear almost halfway through second before it finally caught traction.

The pickup while accelerating was noticeably more as well. When falling back and accelerating to pass a truck, I realized as I was passing him that I really didn't need to fall back as much as I used to in order to get up to 120kmh while passing. As I passed him, I looked down and noticed I was already up at 150kmh and had to slow down a bit.

Throttle response is much more apparent, and cruising is very smooth. Sometimes with the stock chip, while pressing the clutch in the RPM's would drop to about 300 or 400rpm's and every once in a while completely die.. I don't know what exactly was the cause for that, but I haven't had any problems with that since I put the ProMAX chip in earlier.

Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with this chip. With its affordable price, I couldn't be happier. I haven't put it on a dyno yet, so I don't know what the exact horsepower increase is. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll get a chance to dyno it and see where it stands currently. This chip is an easy horsepower boost without having to touch the engine. These are the kind of modifications that I like, where I don't have to modify the engine at all, and still get power boosts. It took me maybe 20 minutes to take the ECU out, pop it open, remove the chip, install the new one, and place the ECU back in the car.

Overall, I drove for about an hour and a half after installing it, and did not notice any difference in fuel consumption. When I fill it up again, I'll be checking the fuel consumption, but from what I've seen today I doubt there's a significant difference.

I highly recommend this chip for a simple way to gain achieve many great improvements ontop of horsepower. Thank you Andrew for all your help with ensuring this chip would work in my euro spec 944S.

With regards,
Rory
Old 08-28-2006, 10:58 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by promax_motorsport
NOTE: power gains will vary from car to car. Above figures represent an average improvement in peak horsepower. Tested by Nine magazine in 09/04 and 07/05.
Is this test posted somewhere that we can read it?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:01 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im also very interesting in the chip. but I have 2 questions:
1. could it pose any problems with the electrical system? (I just spent 500$ to get the last gremlins out...)
2. what would the whp gain be on a 89' 944 n/a?
Thanks
-Sebastian
Old 08-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

I would also be very interested about any gains for an 89 N/A.

-----------------------------------------------------
Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 08-29-2006, 02:31 AM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

I won't ever buy anything again without true dyno runs of before and after. PERIOD
Old 08-29-2006, 09:17 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by ubercooper
Im also very interesting in the chip. but I have 2 questions:
1. could it pose any problems with the electrical system? (I just spent 500$ to get the last gremlins out...)
2. what would the whp gain be on a 89' 944 n/a?
Thanks
-Sebastian
Hi Sebastian,

A chip is purely data - it's like putting a CD into your computer. The data on the ProMAX Performance chip is modified to improve the performance of the car . This data is used by the ECU to instruct the injectors when to pulse and the ignition to fire. It is completely harmless and will not compromise your electrical systems in any way. A little like upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP! (sorry, that's the best computer analaogy I could think of).

Power gains on the normally aspirated 8v models are only moderate (8-10bhp on the 2.5, slightly more on the 2.7) - but this is only part of the story. You will notice smoother running and better torque spread. You will also feel better and more instant throttle response. We don't just make changes to the wide open throttle maps - all the fuel and ignition maps are modified to deliver a better and more responsive driving experience! A cheap and simple upgrade that you can genuinely feel (money back if you don't).

Regards,
Andrew
Old 08-29-2006, 09:19 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by chris luckett
Is this test posted somewhere that we can read it?
Hi All,

I'll dig out the links to the aricles in both Excellence and Nine Magazine. Both were for the 968 chip. I have the links at home buried amongst all my email responses.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 08-29-2006, 09:22 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by Dasota
...I highly recommend this chip for a simple way to gain achieve many great improvements ontop of horsepower. Thank you Andrew for all your help with ensuring this chip would work in my euro spec 944S...
Hi Rory,

Thanks for the feedback. That was a quick delivery (considering how it must have reached you).

As you have discovered, the improvements are more than just peak HP.

All the best.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 08-29-2006, 11:42 AM
stefon
Instructor

Hi

I have a question too ,

Does the fact of putting a powerchip into a car could be dangerous for the engine ?
which modifications is necessary it to bring so that the engine turns without any risk ? I think a bigger fuelpomp (3bars)

Thanks
Soory for my bad english

ps: i have a 944 S2
Old 08-29-2006, 12:03 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Hi All,

I'll dig out the links to the aricles in both Excellence and Nine Magazine. Both were for the 968 chip. I have the links at home buried amongst all my email responses.

Regards,
Andrew
Which issue of excellence? I have all the back issues.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:09 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
I won't ever buy anything again without true dyno runs of before and after. PERIOD
Testimonials just not doin' it for you?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:11 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Power gains on the normally aspirated 8v models are only moderate (8-10bhp on the 2.5, slightly more on the 2.7) - but this is only part of the story.
Regards,
Andrew
I'll believe it when I see it on back to back dyno runs. Till then I figure 2-3 hp max.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:06 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the 944s but the beauty of Andrew's chip (and other chips) on the 968 is not just peak power but overall drivability of the car is greatly improved. There are a lot very happy 968 customers out there and there is an article floating around from Nine magazine with some chip results for the 968.

While I don't run a Promax chip, it was tops on my to do list for awhile before I went in another direction. Andrew's customer service with the 968 crowd has been very good and he has satisfied a lot of owners.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:56 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

I don't think anyone is saying anything bad about the chip, just that they want to see documentation before shelling out money. We support all rennlist sponsors!

I already have an aftermarket chip... does it do anything? <shrugs> I dunno, it was put in the the PO so I can't tell any difference in "overall driveability" or using my butt dyno.

If I ever get a chance to run it on a real dyno (and if I put in the 91 or 93 octane the chip needs), then maybe I'll put up something about what a great (no longer available) chip this is. In the meantime, I don't brag about my NA's power or race the 951s...

Quick Reply: Are you using a ProMAX Chip for your 944/968?