Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Upholstery questions...for those that have recovered seats/sourced fabric

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 07:10 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2 Upholstery questions...for those that have recovered seats/sourced fabric

Hey guys,
trying to decide whether to buy a set of script sport seats and had a few questions....

I prob would not install them the way they currently sit so I would either have to a) replace one bolster thats currently vinyl back to the script cloth, b) recover just the bolsters in leather/vinyl so they match, c) full recover in leather

1) Does anyone know if its possible to get a small amount of the black script fabric - ie just enough for one bolster? If so links please!

2) People that have recovered their seats - who did it and how much? Pics if ya got them-thanks!

Heres a current pic how they sit, the drivers side bolster was replaced with vinyl, other than that with a little clean up they would be pretty nice I think.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rip it the **** off of a seat that already has rips in it! This is america!!!!

Actually I dunno, but damn man, those seats put mine to shame
Old 08-20-2006, 07:49 PM
badmofofosho
I Bad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lemans Original Fabric carries the script fabric. Look close at the sample for Porsche fabric you'll see the letters.

Last edited by badmofofosho; 08-20-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were going to recover them I think I would buy one of the premade kits, I have heard they fit really well depending on who you get it from. However those seats look like they are in great condition minus that one mismatched bolster. I have script seats also and think they are much more unique then leather, so I would try and source the script fabric and just replace that one bolster. And I have heard that you can still kit the script cloth from Porsche.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:37 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone on the board bought a bunch of Porsche script fabric...Sharky?

I recovered mine with full leather covers from LeatherSeats.com. Bought them through Ebay for $549. The quality is really good...actually they went overboard with placing backing over all the material including the leather on the bolsters which at times made installation a bit tricky. In the end I think they turned out really well. The only exception I have with them is that the leather they use a bit more grainy than the original leather and more flat (not as shiny). Other than that, you cannot beat the quality for the price!
Old 08-20-2006, 10:03 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Thanks for the info guys - I emailed Lemans fabric. I think I will either repair the bolster with original cloth and resell them or recover them in leather.

aribop- I would love to see some pictures if its not too much trouble. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2006, 10:27 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Well Lemans already emailed me back and said they dont have the fabric I need so Alberts plan sounds the best so far...
Old 08-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the post Albert...I've been interested in their covers and your endorsement makes it a lock.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:33 AM
aribop
Race Car

Default seats

Here's a couple of pics from when I was recovering the back of the seat:

This first one compares the original leather (left) to the new one (right)
The second shows the back of the seat (stripped)
The third shows the pad that goes in the middle of the seat back
The last shows the pad glued and stapled to the leather center seat back section

I will take some pics of the finished seats (already in car) tomorrow during the day and post tomorrow night.
Attached Images     
Old 08-21-2006, 12:39 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Thanks for the pictures Albert, I appreciate it! Looking forward to seeing them installed..
Old 08-21-2006, 02:52 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aribop
Someone on the board bought a bunch of Porsche script fabric...Sharky?

I recovered mine with full leather covers from LeatherSeats.com. Bought them through Ebay for $549. The quality is really good...actually they went overboard with placing backing over all the material including the leather on the bolsters which at times made installation a bit tricky. In the end I think they turned out really well. The only exception I have with them is that the leather they use a bit more grainy than the original leather and more flat (not as shiny). Other than that, you cannot beat the quality for the price!
Thanks for the review. I've been looking at their stuff as well. This was really helpful.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:24 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

SamGrant951-If your going to recover them I would be HIGHLY interested in buying the script covers from you, so please let me know.

Last edited by potent951turbo; 08-21-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:18 PM
aribop
Race Car

Default Finished product

Just keep in mind I am not an upholstery guy.

The first pic is a Porsche leather rear seat for comparison purposes
The next 3 are the driver seat
The last is the bottom of the passenger seat

You can see the leather is grainier and not as smooth or shiny as the Porsche leather. I tell you what though, these suckers hold you in and you do not slip!
Attached Images      
Old 08-21-2006, 08:53 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Those look great Albert! With the covers I am nervous about lines from where the leather is not streched enough - yours dont really have that. I think Im sold, those look really nice for a great price.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:58 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang aribop, nice job, those look great!!! How hard were they to install? Been lurking this thread for a while as I have a set of sport seats I need recovered in burgundy. I asked LeatherSeats for some samples of burgundy leather since they have different shades available. Even in burgundy, as you stated, the leather is grainier and less shiny. In color they are pretty close (exact match in color and texture to the AGLA shifter boot I just installed). Seems hard to beat for the price.

I was thinking however about one of their kits and then having the perforated cushions replaced with script fabric or Alcantara (locally). Any idea how much material this would take per seat? ( In your pics it seems like the perforated leather is folded in about 3" per side in the back?).

Anybody care to take an educated guess as to how much fabric it would take to replace the perforated cushions in the back seats?

TIA and sorry for the highjack Sam.

Quick Reply: 2 Upholstery questions...for those that have recovered seats/sourced fabric