Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C ?? again

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,316 Posts
Default A/C ?? again

I find out now that my 89 S2 was converted to R134a. **** me off. It was blowing cold air a few weeks back but now when I turn on the A/C it blows warmer air than if I leave the switch off.

I checked coolant pressure and it appears to be good. The compressor turns on when I push the button. The fans had blown the fuse but when I replaced the fuse they worked fine. When I look at the sight glass I barely see any bubbles.

As far as I can tell the system should be working. Any thoughts? I am thinking a blockage in the system but not sure.

I wish they would have left it with R12 but too late for that now.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just went through this in my S2 as well.

My compressor was kicking in properly but it was also leaking. Tried having it rebuilt and it lasted about 2 years. This year it started blowing hot air again and the dealer diagnosed a leaking compressor.

We gave in and put in a new compressor. Problem gone.

I really hope this isn't the case with your car, but if I had to do it all over again I would've saved the 800 Euro rebuild 2 years ago and just bought the new compressor back then.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
I just went through this in my S2 as well.

My compressor was kicking in properly but it was also leaking. Tried having it rebuilt and it lasted about 2 years. This year it started blowing hot air again and the dealer diagnosed a leaking compressor.

We gave in and put in a new compressor. Problem gone.

I really hope this isn't the case with your car, but if I had to do it all over again I would've saved the 800 Euro rebuild 2 years ago and just bought the new compressor back then.

Good luck!
Thanks,

I guess I need to get underneath and get a closer look. Maybe add some fluorescent dye and see if it shows a leak.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, it would really be a bummer if your compressor was bad. I just replaced with OE and it probably cost more than the car is worth...

At any rate, in the U.S. you can fit a SANDEN compressor which should do the trick for A LOT less money. Just make sure the tensioner arm fits on square or you'll start going through accessory belts. HTH

Quick Reply: A/C ?? again