Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan problem Please HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Billiumus
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan problem Please HELP!!!

Hello everyone. I just replaced the waterpump on my 84 944 with the help of a friend and ran into a problem at the end. I took the radiator out along with the fans so i could fit an impact fun in and get some of the harder bolts off but when taking out the fans i forgot to note where the wires went. Now my fans, which worked fine beforehand, wont turn on and im assuming I have the wires going to the wrong fans and the sensor on the radiator but im not really sure so i was hoping someone here can help me doublecheck before i go tearing through wires and relays trying to find any other problems. So i have 3 sets of 2 wires. One has a rubber connector on the end which only fits on the fans and not on the sensor on the radiator. One set of wires is brown and green/white or yellow. The other is brown and brown/white and then theres the 2 wires with the connector on the end which only fits one of the fans and not the sensor on the radiator. Anyone know which one goes where? It would be good to be re-assured that the wires are in the correct place so i know that it is in-fact a different problem. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:42 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, assuming your car has air conditioning, the color coding I can see in the electrical diagram illustration for 1984 cars in the Haynes manual is the following:

Cooling fan motor
- Wire No. 1: red/yellow -> routed through the wiring harness to the cooling fan relay.
- Wire No. 2: blue -> temperature switch.

A/C cooling fan motor
- Wire No. 1: brown/red -> routed through the wiring harness to the fuse box.
- Wire No. 2: brown/red -> temperature switch.
- Wire No. 3: red/black -> routed through the wiring harness to the cooling fan relay.

A/C cooling fan
- Wire No. 1: green/yellow -> routed through the wiring harness to the cooling fan relay.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Billiumus
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

I appreciate the help. Im gonna go give it a shot and see what happens

Quick Reply: Cooling fan problem Please HELP!!!