Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to jump AC low pressure switch - 4 terminals in plug?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Ian928
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to jump AC low pressure switch - 4 terminals in plug?

Hi!

My girlfriend and I are trying to pin down a AC not working problem in her 89 944 turbo (951). We did a search on this board and found a lot of good leads - but there is something different with the low pressure switch plug in her car: It is round with four (two male and two female) terminals, every post I found talked about connecting two pins to get the clutch to engage.

We get 12V on the relay with ignition and AC-button depressed in the dashboard, and my guess is that it really is low on refridgerant. We just want to be sure, because I once had the wire too the AC clutch fail in my 928 and we want to rule out that possibility. AC clutch engages when we put 12V directly too it by the way.

So - has anyone seen the 4-terminal switch and can help us?

(Or are we looking at the wrong switch...)

EDIT: Tried to push down the valve to see if there vere any pressure in the system - and there wasn't... So probably the low pressure switch is doing its job and there is a leak. I guess we need to have it refilled to start searching for a leak? The PO had the car standing for a long time without using the AC - I read here that this could cause seals to dry out and leak. Could this be rectified by just filling up the system and using it regularly or is it just fools play to refill a leaking system?

Kirsti and Ian in Norway
89 944 turbo
80 928S

Last edited by Ian928; 08-05-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:00 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian928
Hi!

My girlfriend and I are trying to pin down a AC not working problem in her 89 944 turbo (951). We did a search on this board and found a lot of good leads - but there is something different with the low pressure switch plug in her car: It is round with four (two male and two female) terminals, every post I found talked about connecting two pins to get the clutch to engage.

We get 12V on the relay with ignition and AC-button depressed in the dashboard, and my guess is that it really is low on refridgerant. We just want to be sure, because I once had the wire too the AC clutch fail in my 928 and we want to rule out that possibility. AC clutch engages when we put 12V directly too it by the way.

So - has anyone seen the 4-terminal switch and can help us?

(Or are we looking at the wrong switch...)

EDIT: Tried to push down the valve to see if there vere any pressure in the system - and there wasn't... So probably the low pressure switch is doing its job and there is a leak. I guess we need to have it refilled to start searching for a leak? The PO had the car standing for a long time without using the AC - I read here that this could cause seals to dry out and leak. Could this be rectified by just filling up the system and using it regularly or is it just fools play to refill a leaking system?

Kirsti and Ian in Norway
89 944 turbo
80 928S
I've got the four pin switch as well - you just need a jumper cable to be connected between one of the female on the switch and one of the males. By doing so it'll engage the compressor for you.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Ian928
Pro

Great! Thanks!

Kirsti and Ian in Norway
Old 08-05-2006, 02:59 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian928

Kirsti and Ian in Norway
When I got my 944, it had an empty system. Ideally, you want to evacuate the system to get all the air out and create a vacuum first. Then you fill with R12 freon and oil. You'll need to use a jumper cable to get the AC compressor to turn and suck in R12. For a completely empty system, I would use one can of oil (it's R12 mixed in with oil) plus two cans of R12. You want the oil to keep the system lubricated.

The problem with doing this, is that you still haven't figured out where the old R12 went. It's not suppose to just disappear. In my case, refilling lasted for three years before I needed another charge -- which means I have a leak somewhere and I'm slowly depleting the ozone layer, hence killing us all.

But does it ever get hot enough in Norway for you to need AC?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Ian928
Pro

Originally Posted by josephsc
But does it ever get hot enough in Norway for you to need AC?
Ha ha, it does once in a while, like now! It is a California car, so it has AC and sunroof, but not heated seats...

We have found a shop we know well that has the equipment and also stocks R12, so they will refill and then we have to see.

Kirsti and Ian in Norway

Quick Reply: Trying to jump AC low pressure switch - 4 terminals in plug?